_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Compressor shopping
mac
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 03:13 AM UTC
I'm in the market for a new compressor. Right now I have a SparMax (I think it's an Iwata variant) compressor and I use Iwata Eclipse and Passche VL airbrushes. Despite my attempts at lowering the pressure on my current compressor it feels like the psi is still too high. I have a moisture trap but no pressure gauge. I was considering the Iwata Smart Jet Pro which has a moisture trap, pressure gauge and regulator for adjustment.

Does anyone have experience with this model? Any other suggestions for a compressor at the $250 range (or less)?

TIA
...Kevin
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 03:32 AM UTC
Ciao Mac,
If you use acrylics, I would suggest that you go to Walmart and buy one of their compressors. I bought a "whatever" brand for about $80. It came with a pressure gauge, but I didn't get the moisture trap (but I could have. There are plenty of options). Mine works great, and was real cheap. More money for models.
Ciao for now
Rob
jpzr
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 316 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 03:44 AM UTC
I would suggest considering a compressor with a holding tank. The negative is that their motors are generally much louder than diaphragm compressors. So if noise is a big concern, you may want to steer clear. On the flipside, the advantages are that you can usually get them cheaper (as Rob mentioned under $100), they eliminate any pulsing common to many inexpensive diaphragm compressors, and you can easily regulate pressure (most come with a regulator built-in).
 _GOTOTOP