_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Singapore / 新加坡
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Camo net, canvas
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 394 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 01:43 PM UTC
Hi,

anyone has done this b4?

Thanks!
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 04:07 PM UTC
I haven't done this before, but you can check out this post by Peter

recce jeep

Hope it helps.
Cheers,
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 11:07 PM UTC
Peter did a great job on modern camo netting.

For WW2, you can use bandage gauze. Those types with the little 'square holes' in them. I never tried it before though.

For canvas, i only did the rolled up version. I use tissue paper. Cut the tissue to size and then roll it up, apply a mix of white glue + water onto it. Then you can tie up the canvas with sewing threads to 'hold' the canvas. Then let dry. Lastly, paint it!

My canvas:

Oh yea, when the tissue is still wet, you can shape it around so it will look uneven like the real thing.

SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 11:09 PM UTC
crap, dunno why the pic didnt show up.

Go to my gallery and on the 3rd page, there is a sherman with my home-made canvas on.

Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 481 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

anyone has done this b4?

Thanks!

I did the camo netting for my Flak 88 dio..Use some kind of net (those for bunning up women's hair) or as Danny suggested, gauze will do too..Then just add some foliage or something..As for canvas, u can also see some in my dios..I use masking tape that I rinse w/ water to remove the glue. Then I like crumpled it up a little to look like canvas. (check out my gallery)

Not the best looking result, but can pass I tink...
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 01:42 AM UTC
Yup... using the tissue paper / toilet paper method is another method to make canvas that I read in Armorama.

Hey Psyfool.. I then looked through your gallery again. May I ask, your Dio named DSCF, how many soldiers are there? And what are the kits that you used for that beauty? (Sorry if this is )
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yup... using the tissue paper / toilet paper method is another method to make canvas that I read in Armorama.

Hey Psyfool.. I then looked through your gallery again. May I ask, your Dio named DSCF, how many soldiers are there? And what are the kits that you used for that beauty? (Sorry if this is )

Which one? i guess the one with the most krauts. I think there are about 55 figures in that dio. Mianly, they're made of Tamiya & Dragon kits. The Flak pulled by the Famo is an Italiery. The vehicles are a panzer 4 ausf D, Armored Car Sd.Kfz.222, Steyr Type 1500A/01, a Horch, a Famo and 1 side car plus 2 bikes. Also 2 bicycles and a horse! Some of the figures have been remodelled for the pose that i want and to make them look exclusive. I'm quite pleased with how this dio turned out.
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 02:41 AM UTC
Man.. that dio is huge.! Any stats? How many metres by how many metres? From your picture.. All I can see are lots soldiers. 55 is really a lot. :-)
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 05:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Man.. that dio is huge.! Any stats? How many metres by how many metres? From your picture.. All I can see are lots soldiers. 55 is really a lot. :-)

It's not that big really..Not even a metre long..It's just made up of 2 large size spotlight bases, which forms this one big dio. probably the pix gives you a wrong impression.
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 394 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 03:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Peter did a great job on modern camo netting.

For WW2, you can use bandage gauze. Those types with the little 'square holes' in them. I never tried it before though.

For canvas, i only did the rolled up version. I use tissue paper. Cut the tissue to size and then roll it up, apply a mix of white glue + water onto it. Then you can tie up the canvas with sewing threads to 'hold' the canvas. Then let dry. Lastly, paint it!

My canvas:

Oh yea, when the tissue is still wet, you can shape it around so it will look uneven like the real thing.

Thanks! will try this out for my next project.
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 06:42 PM UTC
True Psyfool.. maybe the pictures gave me an impression that it's very huge. Anyway.. great job on that dio. It looks great.

Hey Dan.. do update us on your progress of your builds.. Would love to seem them..

I shall do my research and see if DML have a Famo kit. I know Tamiya has a Famo. If i'm not wrong.
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 - 11:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I shall do my research and see if DML have a Famo kit. I know Tamiya has a Famo. If i'm not wrong.

Tamiya got 2 different versions. I Think mine is a troop transporter (comes w/ 8 soldiers) while the other one is more of a tank transporter. I bought mine in JB when I was out shopping..
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 - 03:53 PM UTC
Yup.. they have 2 different kits. Both FAMOs. They got the US Dragon Wagon too (A tank transporter). All very long kits..
 _GOTOTOP