_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Visiting Virton - castles and fortresses
Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 58 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 08:26 PM UTC
Hello

Sorry if this is too much off topic, but I am visiting Virton in southern Belgium with my family in a couple of weeks. We would among other things like to see the Maginot line in France, so I was wondering if someone could tell me where the best place to see that would be not too far from Virton?

We are going by car, so if you could recommend other places worth visiting, both military and civil, not more than a couple of hours drive from Virton, I would be most grateful. We're thinking about seeing the fortresses in Dinant or Namur as well.

Thanks in advance.
-Benjamin
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 08:03 PM UTC
Errhh... Bastogne perhaps.... Since your coming from Denmark (according your details) you'll pass it going south to Virton. There you can visit the Bastogne Historical Center.
For that matter, the whole of the Ardennes is littered with interesting sites.

Also to the north of Virton you have La Roche where there's also Ardennes 44 museum and don't forget a bit higher up La Gleize with also a small museum with a King Tiger at the front door.

And if you have the time and don't mind driving two hours, go to Brussels and visit the Royal Army Museum (beware! closed on Mondays). And if your interested, you'll pass Waterloo (you know Napoleon...)

It just depends on the time you have and how much your family can take... :-) :-) .

Kris
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 08:36 PM UTC
If old castles are of interest, I can highly recommend Boullion, on the Belgian / French Border. It is a very well preserved castle on a commanding position.

Cheers
Henk
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 10:47 PM UTC
Doh... need to read the titles better... .

If it's castles you're after, then yes Dinant and Namur are worth visiting although they are better classified in the "Citadel/ Fortifications" category. As Henk said Bouillon is also very nice not that far from Virton.

At and near Liége you have a couple, the most famous being Eben-Emael (about 1h30 drive from Virton).

If you can really afford the time and drive 3hrs. Then head up to Gent or Antwerp where you can find 12th-13th century castles both of them are museums. The one in Gent on medival times, the one in Antwerp is a maritime museum.

So what's your interest? just the castles/fortifications or the weaponry?

Kris
 _GOTOTOP