_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Scratchbuilding detail parts -- how to?
AH1Wsnake
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 33 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 08:36 AM UTC
Hello gentlemen,
I am attempting to try my hand at scratchbuilding a new FLIR turret for a 1/35 scale USMC UH-1N. The current aftermarket version I have is not accurate.
I would be curious to hear from anyone regarding what type of materials would work best for this. Ideally, it would have to be something easy enough to sand and carve into shape, but tough enough to hold the fine details and recesses. Someone has already mentioned carvable resin foam, but I am unfamiliar with this material, and don't know what it would be sold as. I realize this project may also take quite a bit of artistic talent and fine motor skills I do not have, but I'd still like to give it a go, lol.

My quarry:
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 09:16 AM UTC
Greetings, fellow Wisconsinite-
I would recommend using styrene round rod or even sprue if you can find the correct diameter. Then, round off the end to form the FLIR ball and scribe in the details. Hope this helps.
Kyle
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 09:50 AM UTC
How would you scribe in the details for something like this in 1/35th scale? Never did any scratch building but have always wondering how scribing details in on something this small could be done.
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 10:13 AM UTC

Got any dimentions and drawings---------hard to see what it is like out of context--------me a R recoery -clanky -guy so dont know these things---alien---but will help ..even parallel build if required
e-m what you have please and i will give it a shot
aye
BARV
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hey AH1Wsnake,

This is how I would go about it. It should work with no problems. I use Squadron putty all the time and shaping it with ease.

Hope it help some, good luck
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 916 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 11:27 AM UTC
Hi Snake

I would start w/ a plastic ball of the correct size and cut of the two sides (save them for the mount).
Then add thick sheet that has a half moon cutout for the two sides of the ball.
Then stick all that on a round plice of plastic stock.
Putty & Sand, Putty and Sand. Scribe lines.

A piece of cake. LOL

If this sounds doable and you need more info PM me and I'll draw something up.

Good Luck
N E O

AH1Wsnake
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 33 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 05:47 PM UTC
Thanks for the ideas guys. I think my best bet will be to try and find a craft bead of some sort for the sphere, then use your suggestions and fasion a styrene/putty turret around it. Here is more information for anyone interested in the measurements:

My calculations to 1/35th scale means I am looking for a bead or ball bearing 11mm in diameter (actually 10.96mm). The turret will be about 12.7mm tall. I'll post any progress if I can find the right materials, thanks again.
P.S., I am also intrigued by the clay suggestion. I saw some in the local hobby shop that hardens when baked in the oven. Does it shrink or crack when baked? In other words, would it be worth it to try and sculpt some accurate details and measurements into a piece, or will it just contort itself as it dries?
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 06:17 PM UTC
Hey AH1Wsnake the clay works great. "Does it shrink or crack when baked" No it keeps it's shape. As for a sphere shape you may have a small flat spot once baked. This stuff can be drilled, sanded and scribed. Another tip is to make a small ball of tin-foil and wrap the clay around it. That's so you don't have to use a lot of clay, and I think it keeps it shape much better.
 _GOTOTOP