Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Your views on the 1st Lions Vs All blacks...
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 04:06 PM UTC
Hi all,
I watched the game on the weekend and throughly enjoyed it. Yes, it is a pity about O'Driscoll being injured and out for the tour. I agree it wasn't the smartest thing to be done by Keven and Tana (Tana should have apoligized or something similar) I think the UK press have taken it a bit far in saying that Umaga has no respect after incident. But I do belive there was no intent to injure. They should have got a warning.
During the actual game the All Blacks dominated every area of play especially the lineout which was great! O'Driscoll wouldn't have completely turned the game around.
I would love to read your views on the game

GO ALL BLACKS!!!!!!!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 07:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But I do belive there was no intent to injure.

I’m not a rugby fan, and I’m not really bothered about how the results go either.
I did see the close-ups of the tackle though on Sky news, and if two players simultaneously lifting O´Driscolls legs and throwing him over was not intent, I don’t know, what would be considered as intent. It all looked pre-meditated to me.
Taking an influential player out of the game so early, is not really sport.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2005 - 09:45 PM UTC
Hi frank thanks for taking the time to post,
I think they had intent to lift him up and drive him off the ruck but to hurt him I don't think so. What sports do you follow Frank?
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2005 - 11:29 PM UTC
Hi Andy,

I missed the game... and the 'Boks vs France game... thanks to SWMBO and that confounded "to-do list"... :-)

All I can say is that this tour has once again highlighted the huge gap between club/provincial rugby and rugby at a national level. The Lions have at best left a trail of devestation with the club games.... only to get thoroughly wallaped by the national team. This appears an all too common scenario internationally. I know Super-12 or Super-14 seeks to remedy this... but how much good has it really done? I can't speak for other countries, but in SA our top players are all burning out really early...

Just my most humble 2 cent...

Rudi
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 11:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What sports do you follow Frank?

Soccer and Gaelic football. Have you seen any of the mixed-rules football? (Gaelic and Aussie rules)
I guess asneither country can play internationals, this is an alternative. Can be quite entertaining sometimes.
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 12:21 PM UTC
Frank yes I have seen the mixed games when they are telecast also Andy Phil and I where talking about the game and if ya don't let go of the ball -well you suffer the consequences and they could have rucked him to pieces as well
Ian
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 06:02 PM UTC
Frank. We get the odd game of Aussie rules over here and I really enjoy it. I have never sen Gaelic football but have it on my to-do list for when I am in England next year.

Rudi, I understand where you are coming from about the burn out. One good thing in NZ is alot of the top players aren't playing NPC as well as Super 12 and international level. Do top South African players play Currie cup as well as Super 12 and international?

Ian, Great to have some comment from across the ditch. Are you a ex kiwi too?(please don't be offended if your not) :-)
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 06:25 PM UTC
Andy,

Yeah, our guys play Vodacom cup, Curry cup, Super 12/14, as well all the internationals... so yeah... no wonder the guys are burning out at about 25...

Rudi
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 07:52 PM UTC
No andy a born and bred reds supportor and maroons but when you have a friend like Phil Walden who loves his footy you can't help but listen and learn and by the wat to be mistaken for a brother across the ditch is no dishonour and I have just come back from your lovely country and also would love to visit Rudi's as well
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 08:11 PM UTC
Rudi, I didn't realise how much rugby they play in South Africa that is a crazy amount!

Ian, is there anyway we can convert you to support the Black jersey? :-)
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 09:28 PM UTC
Andy,

I don't suppose I should mention that the very odd fella also plays a university game now and then...

We need to do something like NZ, but there is so much s**t with SARFU off the field, that they can't stop to think about the longevity of the players' careers...

Rudi
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 09:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think the UK press have taken it a bit far

Might be something to do with who is spinning the media for the Lions, none other than Alistair Campbell...

http://www.2005lions.net/press_20050604_012.shtml

For a spin on his style

There was something in the paper this morning about his control-freakery, one of the players put in his column about going for a drink, only to find the copy coming back to him amended to say going for a stroll. Guess what the new euphemism in the Lions is for going for a pint?
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 04:08 PM UTC
Rudi, I think NZ has just about got the balance right, It is the players choice wether or not they play NPC so in the endit is their own fault if they burn out.

Hi David, I too noticed Alistar Campbell was doing their spin work. The New Zealand is taking everything the Lions say with a grain of salt.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 05:02 PM UTC
Andy,

For our players to qualify for the national squad they (unofficially of course) have to be in a Super 12/14 squad... in order to do that they have to be in a provincial/curry cup/vodacom cup team... it's a vicious circle... and now with proposed Rainbow Cup with the northern hemisphere teams.... i thjink all we can expect is a weaker national team and a higher burnout rate...

Rudi
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 05:12 PM UTC
thats definatly different to here. It is becoming the norm now for players to come straight from Club teams into Super 12/14 and not play any NPC. Joe Rokocoko is an example. Those who don't make the national squad usually end up playing NPC though.