History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Rangers in WWII
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 04:28 PM UTC
Has anyone read this book by Robert W. Black?I just picked it up and am hoping its good.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Has anyone read this book by Robert W. Black?I just picked it up and am hoping its good.

Zach--Black is a retired Army colonel who writes little in the book. The book is a compilation of after action reports. I felt any of the books on Darby where much better ("We Led the Way" comes to mind automatically). James Aliteri wrote a super one (The Spearheaders) about his exploits with the 1st Ranger Battalion. This was the basis of the movie he produced with James Garner in the 50's (Darby's Rangers).
Hope this helps
DJ
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 04:01 AM UTC
I have a book here at my office that I picked up at an antique store, "The Battle is the Pay-off", by Ralph Ingersoll (CPT, USA), 1943. It discusses the Ranger raid preceding the start of the Battla of El Guettar (Tunisa). CPT Ingersoll was a participant with D Company, 1st Engineer Battalion, attached to the 1st Ranger Battalion during the raid. The first half of the book, though, discusses engineer operations in North Africa and is quite interesting. The 2nd Ranger Battalion action in the Huertgen Forest is discussed in "A Dark and Bloody Ground", by Edward A. Miller, 1995. The 2nd Rangers actions at Poinr du Hoe are covered in detail in CMH Pub 100-14, "Small Unit Actions", originally published by the Historical Division, Department of War in 1946 ( a copy can be acquired from USAPA website "www.usapa.army.mil") The actions of the 2nd & 5th Rangers at Normandy are covered in the 50th Anniversary of WW2 series volumne on D-Day, the 6th Rangers are covered in the volume, "Return to teh Philipines, and 1st & 3rd Rangers are discussed in volumes on North Africe, Sicisly and the two volumes covering the Italian campaign. They can be purshased from USAPA, and titles can be found at Chief of Military History linat "www.army.mil". These are all excellent publications if you are looking for accurate history of the Rangers in WW2.

"Rangers Lead the Way"

Jeff

P.S. You can also try the Ranger Regiment (75th Infantry) and Ranger Association sites which can be reached from the Ft. Benning website.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a book here at my office that I picked up at an antique store, "The Battle is the Pay-off", by Ralph Ingersoll (CPT, USA), 1943. It discusses the Ranger raid preceding the start of the Battla of El Guettar (Tunisa). CPT Ingersoll was a participant with D Company, 1st Engineer Battalion, attached to the 1st Ranger Battalion during the raid. The first half of the book, though, discusses engineer operations in North Africa and is quite interesting. The 2nd Ranger Battalion action in the Huertgen Forest is discussed in "A Dark and Bloody Ground", by Edward A. Miller, 1995. The 2nd Rangers actions at Poinr du Hoe are covered in detail in CMH Pub 100-14, "Small Unit Actions", originally published by the Historical Division, Department of War in 1946 ( a copy can be acquired from USAPA website "www.usapa.army.mil") The actions of the 2nd & 5th Rangers at Normandy are covered in the 50th Anniversary of WW2 series volumne on D-Day, the 6th Rangers are covered in the volume, "Return to teh Philipines, and 1st & 3rd Rangers are discussed in volumes on North Africe, Sicisly and the two volumes covering the Italian campaign. They can be purshased from USAPA, and titles can be found at Chief of Military History linat "www.army.mil". These are all excellent publications if you are looking for accurate history of the Rangers in WW2.

"Rangers Lead the Way"

Jeff

P.S. You can also try the Ranger Regiment (75th Infantry) and Ranger Association sites which can be reached from the Ft. Benning website.

Jeff--can one ever forget the immortal lines from "Darby's Rangers"----"hey, look at that Ranger patch!"
Rangers Lead The Way
DJ
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 05:21 AM UTC
Sweet.Thanks guys.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 03:06 PM UTC
I almost forgot, I picked up another book last weekend, "Ghost Soldiers" which details the POW rescue by a company of the 6th Rangers in the Philipines. Haven't read it yet, but it has good reviews.

Jeff
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 04:07 PM UTC
Now that would be a interesting subject to read about.Do tell later on how it goes Ranger plz.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 06:30 AM UTC
I can tell you that it was one of two POW rescues conducted in the Phillipines, the other one included an airborne drop by a task force from the 11th Airborne Division.

In this raid, 120 Rangers with Phillipine guerillas penetrated Japanese lines attacked and captured the POW camp, liberated the POWs then returned them to US lines. The two raids were conducted out of fear that the Japanese would execute the POWs rather than have then liberated. These were all of the Battered Bastards of Battan that remained in the Philipines. The remainder that had not died had been shipped to Japan or Manchuria as slave labor. The surviving POWs in Manchuria were eventually rescued by the Russians.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 12:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I can tell you that it was one of two POW rescues conducted in the Phillipines, the other one included an airborne drop by a task force from the 11th Airborne Division.

In this raid, 120 Rangers with Phillipine guerillas penetrated Japanese lines attacked and captured the POW camp, liberated the POWs then returned them to US lines. The two raids were conducted out of fear that the Japanese would execute the POWs rather than have then liberated. These were all of the Battered Bastards of Battan that remained in the Philipines. The remainder that had not died had been shipped to Japan or Manchuria as slave labor. The surviving POWs in Manchuria were eventually rescued by the Russians.

Jeff---you have winner in "Ghost Soldiers." Superb book. Get "An Army At Dawn" Really well-written book.
DJ
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 08:52 AM UTC
I just finisdhed the book "Ghost Soldiers", covering the 6th Rangers rescue of Bataan survivors at Cabantuan, Philipines. I have been thinking how to write a review for this sight. If you are interested in WW2, the war in the Pacific, Rangers, or other related issues, I cannot do this book the justice it deserves.

Jeff
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 05:52 PM UTC
I found a interesting site tonight while surfing the net.Has some neat reading to it.
www.DarbyRangers.com
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 05:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I found a interesting site tonight while surfing the net.Has some neat reading to it.
www.DarbyRangers.com

Zach--thanks.
DJ