_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
UH-60L Blackhawk
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:54 PM UTC
My daughter is a big fan of the film "Black Hawk Down", and I was thinking about purchasing a UH-60L Blackhawk and building one for her.

I model strictly 1/35th armor and softskin vehicles, so a Black Hawk would certainly be a change for me.

My questions, (1) Is the UH-60 kit biting off a bit much for someone that hasn't built any type of helo or aircraft before, and (2) is there a preferred UH-60 model as far as quality and price?

ps: In Squadron's catalogue they're showing an MRC 1/35th Blackhawk for $49.96--yikes!

Thanks in advance for any info provided.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:33 PM UTC
The MRC model is very good. It shouldn't be too difficult if you build 1/35th armor. If you want a model from Blackhawk Down, you should look at getting the Academy 1/35th HH-60G. It is the SpecOps and rescue version that is used by the US Army Rangers and the version used in the movie. Here is a website with more info on different Blackhawk versions and lots of photos.

Blackhawk

I have built the Academy UH-60L and have the HH-60 on the workbench. Both are great models. Here is a review of the kit.
Academy Blackhawk Review

Hope this helps you decide.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:38 PM UTC
I am not a big fan of the Academy 1/35th kit for a lot of reasons, that I won't go into here. Drop me a line if you're interested in what I think is wrong with the kit.
The 1/48th Academy version is probably a much better way to go , especially if you're giving it as a gift.

Mike
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:43 PM UTC
Mike and Gino

Thanks for your reply's and the information.
 _GOTOTOP