Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Paypal
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 11:39 PM UTC
Has anybody using paypal gotten this message in their email? I have been wondering if it is a scam or not. I haven't checked their website yet.

Dear valued PayPalŪ member,

Due to recent fraudulent transactions, we have issued the following security requirements.

It has come to our attion that 95% of all fraudulent transactions are caused by members using stolen credit cards to purchase or sell non existant items. Thus we require our members to add a Debit/Check card to their billing records as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website. Your Debit/Check card will only be used to identify you. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and renew your records you will not run into any future problems with the PayPalŪ service. However, failure to confirm your records will result in your account suspension.

Once you have updated your account records your pending PayPalŪ account transactions will not be interrupted and will continue as normal.

To update your billing records please login to your account by clicking here.

Thank you for your time,
PayPalŪ Billing Department.

DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 11:50 PM UTC
That email address at the bottom isn't paypal - it's a spoof trying to get your account details - I get about three of these a week. Forward the email to : [email protected] and on no account reply to the original email or give any details . If you do, let Paypal know and they'll put a stop on your account and change passwords etc.
waterboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 466 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 01:06 AM UTC
Don't do it!! Its a spoof or somebodty phishing for your account information to assume your identity. Report and forward the e-mail to paypal asap.
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 02:04 AM UTC
I emailed them and they told me it is a scam

Thanks

Paul
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 02:33 AM UTC
They always tell you they will contact you by your name only, that when the letter says valued member, it is a scam, to contact paypal immediately about it, to let them know about this going on.

Then if you are in question to always type in their website, to not go to something your not sure of and never give your password to even a paypal employee.

Dishonesty can happen anywhere, and if they think they can get away with it, cause your not supposed to give it to them, so I'm not saying they will, but then anything can happen, when a lot of money is in front of them., and they might have money problems themselves, like about 90% of Americans do.

I hope this helped, cause I just spent a real long time learning how they operate, and I mean even talking to them on the phone which takes 20 minutes to the recording, then another 8 to 10 minutes to get a live person.

I wasn't about to hang up until I leaned something, and he was nice enough to explain everything I needed to know.
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 1,430 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 05:54 PM UTC
Yeah..all those are either a virus or a harvester...i get about 8 or 10 a week from the "ebay"..confirm you password or your account will be deleted thing. Just forward them to the applicable place and delete them..never do what they say...
Mary
Asmenoth
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 274 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 09:14 PM UTC
Yep, garbage. Forward, delete and forget. I love the ones about problems with my bank account at a bank I have never heard of. Allthough amusing (spelling errors and all), I am getting sick and tired of them.

:-)
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 06:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am getting sick and tired of them

You said it If I receive 10 emails a day on my personal email address 9 of them end up being spam. We get tons of them here at work - it is insane. I used to think "how could anybody fall for one of these?!?!?" until one of my co-workers (there's only 5 of us in here so news travels fast) opened one that had a zipped atachment that was encyrpted - he actually put in the encryption code, un-zipped it and GOOD-BYE COMPUTER! :-) Unbelievable. You would think people who go through such lengths to bombard the world with spam & viruses would put their knowledge to a more constructive, friendly use.