_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
good compressor in the $150-$200 range
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 11:39 AM UTC
I am considering asking the Jolly chubby guy for a new compressor. I got on off E-bay last christmas and it has turned out to be a real dog that you can't adjust the pressure on. It has also started making a lot of rattling noise when I have it on and gets extremely hot. Anyway I would like one that has adjustable air pressure and is not to loud. Any advice would be appreciated. I know I can get a pressure regulator to add to it, but I already had to add other parts to get it to work in the first place and don't want to put anymore cash into this thing.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 12:18 PM UTC
drewgimpy
Search the forums for Walmart!! They have a great one cheap (inexpensive). I've had mine for a year and it gets quite a bit of use. Totally adjustable, 2 gal tank, quite (to a degree) when on. love it!!!
This item has been posted a couple of times.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:09 PM UTC
I agree with Scott. Walmart has a Campbell Hausfeld compressor for right at $100.00.
It comes with pressure guages. All you need is a moisture trap (Some folks don't use them) and your set.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:20 PM UTC
Andrew:
I purchased Testor's Model AC200 air brush about a year back when Model Expo was running a special on them. Its small, solidly built, has a moisture trap, and is obviously adjustable for air pressure. It did fall into the price range you mentioned on your post.

Unfortunately it is noisy, but that can come in handy when you want to drown out the racket the kids and their pals,(and their music!) makes.

I use the Aztec double action air brush with it, and just can't complain.

I'd buy it again in a second.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:33 PM UTC
I'll, uh, third the opinions of Scott and Charles. The Campbell Hausfeld FP 2003 air compressor is a great buy. I got mine for only $89.97... :-)

Here's the link = Ch FP2003 @ WalMart.com

YodaMan
afm1990
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 01:58 PM UTC
I'll fourth the Walmart option. I bought a 5 HP compressor from a friend who was upgrading his to an industrial size. I use it for projects around the house and cars as well as for airburshing. Depending on where you live, I would highly recommend a moisture trap. I would also suggest you drain the moisture out of the compressor every time you use it. There shold be a little valve on the bottom of the tank for that. I live in the deep South and everytime I crank the compressor up, I get a little condensation.
newstarter
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 26 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 10:43 AM UTC
You lot in the US don't know how lucky you are. Our version of Walmart (Asda, which is owned by Walmart), has a hardware section which boasts luxuries such as screwdrivers, spanners and torches. If you want any more than that, Tough, its just whats on the shelf pal, and its the same nationwide. In the local hardware store, when you tell them that you only need a small compressor, they look at you like you've just crawled out from under a rock, then try and sell you a 20hp industrial strength version. When I eventually managed to convince the shop assistant that small is good, big is bad, the price he quoted for even the smallest, crappiest model was around £230 ($340 approx).
I'll be going to a model show soon, hopefully there will be something worth having. If not the only solution to my problem will be emigration!
See you all soon
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 10:47 AM UTC
And I'll be the fifth vote for the C&H at Walmart. For the same reasons as above.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 10:53 AM UTC
Well, I guess that Walfart is hard to beat if you're into Walfarting, but an alternative for you could be Bear Air.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 09:09 AM UTC

Last year, I needed a new one. Instead of investing in a durable compressor, I scanned the model shops to find a low price solution. I found this Puma MA 1000G (mine's all yellow, but it looks the same). It came at around 125 Euro (or USD if that sounds better) and works very well. It is a bit noisy, but I muffle it by placing it on a plock of styrofoam.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 10:15 AM UTC
O.K., my silly opinion on this (resurgent) subject.

I don't know about all of you, but I'm not a big fan of the noise of the normal diaphram compressor. And, since our need is for a simple source of compressed air (not constantly compressing air) my take on the whole thing is this; I purchased a 5 gallon static tank (from Home Depot) and I fill it with air before I start my painting session. I plug in my AB, and viola! I have a working AB without the incessant noise and vibration of the running diaphram compressor! Yeah I know, they make supposedly 'silent' compressor's right?
Well, aside from the price, these compressor's are not silent. They are just a little more 'quiet', that's all. And since most of my painting is done later in the evening, this is an important feature.

My Farthing's worth...

Tread.

P.S. Beside's, when I attend a local model club meeting I can take some of my 'air' with me, and, use it conveniently.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 08:09 PM UTC
Like Treadhead, I also went the "totally silent route"... i bought a C/H 5 gallon tank, added in a pressure valve and moisture trap, quick connect brass couplings, and I use a small car compressor to ram about 120 PSI into the tank. This takes about 10 minutes per charge, and gives me about 15 minutes of pure air time in total quiet... and when you realize that you only have your finger on the air button for 10-15 seconds tops, you can see that is enough air to do several tanks on a single charge. Yeah - I paid about $125 for the full rig, but it is worth it!

Another source is www.harborfreight.com, which is a tool distribor that has a nice 2 gallon unit on sale right now with compressor, trap, regulator - the works, for only $80. No shipping charges nor sales tax either! Only drawback is they are slow to ship at times... be prepared to wait 2-3 weeks. They also make an AWESOME deal on their Spray Booths to catch all those fumes... just $69.95 for a full metal unit that is 20x12x14, with 1/2 HP suction motor. Also has a nice view port... can't beat this deal ANYWHERE.
Arty1CD
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 27 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 08:25 PM UTC
I use the testors AC200. Got it on sell at the PX. Guess nobody knew what it was for . Payed $89.00 for it. Ajustable pressure with a moisture trap. A little loud though.
 _GOTOTOP