_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Too red
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 01:01 AM UTC
HI

I guess I really need a better photo editing program to tone down the red. The red is not as starl/bright in person. I "think" it occurs when I use the flash

I use a Kodak DX7590 and couldn't find anything on how to adjust the red setting.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks.

Tom
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 01:41 AM UTC
Check your white balance settings. Maybe tweaking them would do.
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 02:25 AM UTC
Ya, I was about to say the same thing, check the white balance. There's a setting for that and you can actually see when changing it how the color will sway towards. Also, and I'm not a pro by any means, but something in the back of my memory is telling me to say... focus the camera prior to taking your picture on something that is as true white as you can. Then take a picture and see if it makes the differance you want.

Hope that helps!

Good Luck!

EasyOff
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 02:43 AM UTC
Most flashes are way too bright for macro photography. It is best to turn them off, set the camera on a tripod, and shoot with longer shutter speeds to compensate. I use 3 150 watt lamps bounced off white boards for my photo shoots.

EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 04:47 AM UTC
Wow Sticky, tha's a sharp looking model. I love the wood grain on the paddle. Can I ask, how do you do that? I'm working on that Mig Production Viking with the arrow sticking out of his arm and I'm stuck on how to paint that darn arrow.

EasyOff
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow Sticky, tha's a sharp looking model. I love the wood grain on the paddle. Can I ask, how do you do that? I'm working on that Mig Production Viking with the arrow sticking out of his arm and I'm stuck on how to paint that darn arrow.

EasyOff

Very simple really. First i coursened up the surface with 100 grit sandpaper. Then it was based coated in acrylic fleash tone. When that was set, I gave it a coat of burnt umber oil paint and set it aside for 10 minutes. Then with a clean damp brush with turpeniod I wiped off most of the oil paint. The curved grain was then added with a 3/0 brush slight wetter than damp with tupenoid.

Thats it!
Robster
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 386 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 11:01 AM UTC
Is this better,

Grtz Rob!
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 11:54 AM UTC
IMHO it is very difficult to fix a poor photo using photo editing software. Don't take this the wrong way, but garbage in garbage out.
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 12:30 PM UTC
Hi

Thanks for all the hints. Come to think of it, whenever I use natural light I find the colours to be more natural. Hmm, I do have a "red eye" setting, wonder if that would help.

Robster: Yup, pretty close but the barrel is a bit browner

I will invest in some lights, play with the settings more and see how things go from there.

Really appreciate your time guys

Tom
 _GOTOTOP