TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
AFI's top 100 movie quotes
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 07:12 PM UTC
Tonight they aired the American Film Institutes top 100 best film lines. The movie which gave us the most quotes is one I first saw in 1975. I fell in love with it and to this day I still proclaim it as the greatest movie of all times. In fact, I think the leading actor is the greatest of all time though this movie is not my favorite one he was in. Of course, I am referring to the immortal Casablanca...6 out of 100 quotes came from this movie Here's looking at you kid, the beginning of a beautiful friendship, round up the usual suspects., of all the Gin joints, we'll always have Paris, and of course the oft misquoted Play it Sam, play as time goes by...I think they could have added a couple of more too. Bogie...HE"S THE MAN...He was the originator of the "Rat Pack" that fell to Sinatra upon Bogies death. But surprizingly, my favorite Bogie movie is the one he hated doing...Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn. Well guys that was fun...the number one quote was "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn" which in 1939 shocked the world for it's profanity.
DD-393
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 11:24 PM UTC
Good show, but they left out my favorite, from "Animal House."

Flounder, you f**ked up. You trusted us.

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 02:51 AM UTC
I only watch the last hour and a half. I'm officially an addict. My wife and kids were throwing things at me, and I have a bruise on my arm from my wife punching me. Why? Because I not only knew the movies, but I had a pretty good idea of the line they were going to use. I got punched when they showed the bandit from The Treasure of Sierra Madre, and I immediately said the line "Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!" My daughter got REALLY disgusted when they showed Cool Hand Luke. "Daddy, you've only seen that movie 100 times, or course you know the line!"

Charlie, my favorite line from Animal House didn't make the list either, "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Sigh, no quotes from Kelly's Heroes.

Probuilder
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 193 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 05:12 AM UTC
"What we have here is a failure to communicate" Classic!!!!!!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 07:18 AM UTC
I LOVE Animal House....at one time I used to be able to do the entire Roadhouse scene from the opening line of "We are going to die" through "Duz you mind if we dance wit yo dates" to the concluding "The negroes stole our dates". How about "fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son."
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 07:53 AM UTC
Here's the complete list.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 06:03 PM UTC
Thanks for the list AJ...I looked up the greatest actors and feel vindicated Bogie was number one on the list. He only won one oscar, of course look who he had to compete with....Brando, Gable. Tracy, Cagney, Robinson. Now days who does Deniro, Hanks and Pacino have to compete with...Schwartzenegger, Stallone, and all the other action guys. Yep there never will be another Bogie. Looking at the 100 Best movies only 4 Bogie pics made it. Treasuer of SIerra Madre, Maltese Falcon, African Queen, and at #2 Casablanca (never could figure out why Citizen Kane always beats it out)
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 08:29 AM UTC
I'm surprised and disappointed that nothing from "The Blues Brothers" made the list.

"We're on a mission from God."

"What kind of music do you usually have here? Oh, we got both kinds. We got country AND western."

"Well then... I guess you're really up [auto-censored] Creek."

"Are you the police? No, ma'am. We're musicians"

"How much for the little girl? How much for the women? What? Your women. I want to buy your women. The little girl, your daughters... sell them to me. Sell me your children."

And the classic:

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. Hit it!"

At least the first one was one of the 400 lines nominated.

Not a single line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail even made the list of 400 nominated lines.

Tom
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 01:01 PM UTC
I don't know, about half of those just don't do anything for me

missing:
Star Wars: I've got a bad feeling about this.

John Wayne: Don't apologize, it's a sign of weakness.

True Grit: That's bold talk from a one-eyed fat man.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 06:51 AM UTC
I always like to quote "Risky Business"

Time of your life....hunh kid

and one of my all time favorite scenes In Major League near the end when Charlie Scheen comes out to pitch and the whole stadium erupts into "WILD THING" and the owner say "I hate that fxxxing song"
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 224 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 11:37 PM UTC
Blaster, how about when Tom Berenger & Sheen are sitting in the classy restaurant and he notices he wife and some guy sitting at another table, and Sheen says " Ya want me to take him outside and beat the sh*t out of him? "
So many movies so many lines.
Cheyenne
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 746 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 11:41 AM UTC
I liked one out of Platoon Tom Berenger " YO SADDLE UP LOCK AND LOAD"

And also Matthew McConaughey In a Time To Kill
"NOW IMAGINE SHE'S WHITE" that was a knock out line in a great Movie.

Redleg