_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Singapore / 新加坡
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Building Kit Bases... ideas???
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 04:05 PM UTC
Hi folks,

I've built quite a few kits and I always try to place them on bases. These bases that I've got are all bought from Spotlight at Plaza Singapura. They are these wooden blocks and they come in different sizes that you can get for close to $2 +.

However, I hope to build bases in future to fit the size of my kits. To sculpt these bases for the purpose of the landscape of Dios. Any idea how I can go about building these bases? What are the materials that I need?How do you go about building them? Do share your idea with me! Thanks. (in local context thanks.. so that i can get these equipments)

Cheers
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 481 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 - 04:43 AM UTC
I also get my dio bases from Spotlight Plaza Singapura. They have quite a number of sizes and shapes and usually I can find one that suits my dio. If u intend to do a big one, just do like I did in my 'Approach to Stalingrad' dio where i combined 2 bases to form one big dio. This also helps me in terms of storage. If u want to build yourself, then i guess u need to do some carpentry work with some pieces of wood.
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 - 03:43 PM UTC
But if you do combine those 2 bases together, there'll be a gap between them. How would you fill that gap?
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 - 10:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But if you do combine those 2 bases together, there'll be a gap between them. How would you fill that gap?

White putty or white glue? Then paint over them?
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just put the 2 bases together and work on it as if it's 1 big piece. After the groundwork is done, I just took a penknife and cut carefully to split the 2 halves. if u split them carefully, the separation line will not be obvious. As for the vehicles & figures on the dio, they can't straddle between the 2 bases so u need to plan how to place the vehicles and figures to give the impression that they are not on 2 separate bases. I have to resort to doing this to ensure that each section can fit into my Ikea display case!
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

White putty or white glue? Then paint over them?

For my groundwrok I only use plastercine to make the uneven ground effect.. Then I sprinkled fine sand, gravel over the whole surface, then i spray over them to hold them in place.
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 09:48 PM UTC
Thanks Psyfool... just one thing.. you spray over those find sand and grass.. what did you use to spray? The normal hair spray that these guys recommend?
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 10:56 PM UTC
This shop selling base.

Which floor is it at? Are the wooden base lacquered? Or just plain old wood?

Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 11:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Psyfool... just one thing.. you spray over those find sand and grass.. what did you use to spray? The normal hair spray that these guys recommend?

Firstly, with the gravel and sand on, I'll usually spray brown throughout (just normal Pylox spray to cut cost). Then u can highlight here and there w/ Dark yellow or whatever color deem fit. if there is grass, u can even spray lightly over them with dark yellow and it will look like some of the grass are dried up. U can try the guyz' idea to use hair spray though I myself never tried it yet.
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 11:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This shop selling base.

Which floor is it at? Are the wooden base lacquered? Or just plain old wood?

The place is called 'Spotlight' and it's a handicraft place. There's 2 of them, I tink. One in Plaza Sing (4th or 5th flr), the other in Tampines (DBS Bldg, basement). U can also find many useful stuff there that u can probably use for dios. The bases come in many shapes and sizes. Suitable for small dios for 1/35 figures or even quite big ones for big dios. But, the bases are not laquered. So u need to laquer them first. For me, I don't bother to laquer them..
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 01:42 AM UTC
Thanks psyfool once again for your tip on base making. Yup.. Spotlight at Plaza Singapura. The one at Tampines closed already... when I asked the security guard if it's just renovating... he told me.. Closed for Good. Haha.. :-) So that's out for you Danny.

I don't laquer them too. They look good enough already. For me that is.
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 05:51 AM UTC
Ok thanks for the info guys, i'll go check it out.

Currently, i'm saving container lids as a base for my 1/72 dios.

umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 07:44 PM UTC
Oh.. 1/72 is really small. Do post some pics when they're done.
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 12:33 PM UTC
i ve seen ready made dio of 1/144
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 02:43 PM UTC
But aren't those ready made dios, their tanks are mostly machine made. A bit unfair right?!
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 390 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 01:15 AM UTC
yeap gotta agree with that...its not fair...but the dia looks cool...
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 01:46 AM UTC
My friends! Art Friend has opened another branch at Taka, Orchard Rd (Level below Orchard Library). I got somemore wooden bases there today (I think the Spotlight one better quality though). They got air brushes on display too... but no $$. Heh.. this post is FYI.
 _GOTOTOP