_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Spare parts storage What do you do ?
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 727 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 06:55 AM UTC
Until recently I tended to not have a lot of spare parts needing storage. Those I had were in old model boxes which caused a problem since I would forget what I had.

I was wondering what methods people used to store their spare parts?
Do you leave the parts on the spues or remove them to save space. Do you have a way to keep them identified ?

I realize some people are much more organized than others but I think it will be interesting to hear some of the methods people use. It might give myself and others some ideas for getting our spares in order. With the recent Dragon kits (and perhaps the older ones but I haven't built many Dragon kits to date) filling the boxes with parts I know I am going to have a lot of things needing storage.

CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 07:05 AM UTC
Rob - I use clear storage boxes I buy at the local housewares store. They come in a lot of sizes, I use ones the size of a shoe box.

Some parts I leave on the sprue others I cut off. I don't bother with keeping them identified as many of my "spare parts" don't wind up being what the were intended. ie Bombs modified into radar housings. Any flat part, modified into a blade antenna, etc. All parts good for litter or rumble. extra stowage. :-) Even having some extra spue around helps out now and then.

I still use old kit boxes to "layout" project parts from the "spares".
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 07:12 AM UTC
I use different size storage boxes as well. For the really small detail parts I find that pill boxes work best. The ones that have a box for each day of the week work great.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 07:18 AM UTC
For 1/72 scale kit parts, I take them off the sprue and put them in one of those clear sectioned plastic containers that you can get a Wal-Mart for about $5. I have "like" items segregated. For instance, I have sections for road wheels, sprockets, gun tubes, figures, turret pieces, track, etc.

For 1/35 scale kits I keep them in old kit boxes. I have Abrams parts in an old Tamiya Abrams box, Sherman parts in an old Sherman box and so on. I do have a miscellaneous box for other small bits and pieces.

Keeping the sprue depends on how many pieces are left over and how much room is in that particular box.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 07:20 AM UTC
I use a few methods
1. A large multi drawer oragnizer you get at DIY's for things like screws and nuts and nails.
2. A smaller tupperware type of closed box that has lots of smaller 'bins', similar to #1 only portable.
3. For larger stuff I got stackable open ended bins at the DIY store. I got a couple sizes to fit different things.
4. I snagged a "pot" full of old 35mm slide boxes with cool snap shut lids. They're clear and stackable.

I use all these for really everything, spare parts, tools, detail sets, duplicates, molds, diorama stuff etc etc etc.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 07:29 AM UTC
I use ziplock bags of various sizes. The DML 251 halftracks require a full gallon size to hold all the spares, other kits can make do with a sandwich sized bag.
I usually cut away the empty portions of the sprues, but leave a complete box of sprue around the parts for protection.
I toss the kit instructions in with the larger bags, staple the instructions to smaller bags and store them in a large cardboard box with the kit they came from written on top.
I keep seperate boxes for sci fi, modern armor, air/helo and WWII German armor.

My US$0.02

Mike
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 07:46 AM UTC
I'm like Sabot except I do that for 1/35th. I have one separate tray my wife gave me for figures, which I devide up into right arms, left arms, torsos, legs, etc. Another box is for suspension parts, road wheels, etc, and a third for misc items, often weapons. I cut them off and clean them up before putting them away.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 08:32 AM UTC
I use old modelkit boxes of the same type. All my 35th German is in an Academy Tiger 1 box, my Modern in a M60a3 box, airplane...airplane, etc etc These are all stacked on each other in the closet.
Probuilder
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 193 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 09:26 AM UTC
I use those plastic organizers that you get with all the little clear plastic tubs in them. then just label them all as to what is what.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 09:50 AM UTC
Do I feel guilty! You guys are just too organised! I just chuck them in a kit box until it's full, then start on the next box & so on. Consequently I never know where a specific part is, but that's OK 'cos since I've been making Dragon kits, there's always more parts than I need anyway! If I do need something I've only got to search 2-3 boxes (or is it 5-6?). All the instructions go in an old Tamiya Panther box, except for the ones that don't!
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 11:57 AM UTC
I used to keep them all organized in 50-drawer boxes, but, it got to be too much. Now it all winds up in a big cigar box. In fact, it's almost time to start a new big cigar box. :-)

Cuhail
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 12:07 PM UTC
the wall mounted drawer organizers for bolts and screws are best.. cost about $10 at walmart.. various size pull out drawers..

use one with small drawers for parts and the larger ones for supplies..

I try to keep things organized. but mostly my organization is what is in my head... and thats a jumble.. also zip lock baggies of various sizes... for larger items and I keep em in a shoe box..

labeling them with masking tape of course..
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 12:46 PM UTC
Those GLAD containers that deli sliced meats come in @ the grocery store come in real handy & then there are my cigar boxes...
The rest of my parts set up is much like Slodders.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 01:31 AM UTC
The small glad lock containers are what I use. They are cheap, stackable and clear enough that I can see in them, but I label them with a Sharpie just to make sure. Every item has a home. German MG's in one, Sherman roadwheels in another, etc. I like it and it works well. "Q"
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 02:09 AM UTC
Years ago I found interlocking drawer sets in various sizes. Recently, I picked up a sewing storage box at a garage sale. It's got 3 levels and opens like a tackle box. The 2 large bottom compartments are big enough to hold 1 or 2 in progress or finished models. I don't know if they still make these, but I store my tools in a Roli-Kit, a hex shaped unit that unrolls to expose various size compartments, and when rolled up locks in place so you can carry it around.

Art
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 577 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 02:26 AM UTC
Well, I can see some folks are far more organized as myself while others are not. I have attempted to org my spares using two parts drawers(labeled), a old floppy disc container (for the little PE, AM and molds I have) and the rest are in old modelling boxes. I have maintained this organization as one of the parts drawers has parts (figures, modern armour) that I no longer build. I will have to sort out my spares as I am taking as long to find bits & pieces as it takes to build a set of Sherman suspension. May have some "stuff" to donate to a good home :-) :-) :-)
 _GOTOTOP