_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
African Union Grizzlies...
Figure_11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 85 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 07:03 AM UTC
I just cought a report on CBC: apparently some Grizzlies may be sent to the sudan to equip the African Union forces. I didn't hear wether being loaned or sold/given to the AU... What do you think those would look like? UN white? would they keep the sceme they have now? would they recieve some sort of desert sceme?
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 4,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 08:00 AM UTC
If they are sent, I think that they will just be kept a solid green colour.

Photos that I have seen of African Nations already using the 4x4 and 6x6 Mowag variants are just painted in a solid olive green colour.

Here's a link to another news article:

http://www.news24.com/News24/Africa/News/0,,2-11-1447_1720266,00.html
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 09:51 AM UTC
Isn't that nice.Our own guys don't have the stuff they need, yet they GIVE them away.If the regs don't need them why not give them to the reserves?They allways need equipment.
Well that just my 2 cents!
Jim
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 09:55 AM UTC
Jim

Give the Militia something almost current?????? Please let me have some of what you're taking :-) . I remember the days when for a 2 week exercise we got 40 blanks and then had to go bang bang. and having enough TCVs to move a unit was only a pipe dream (unless of course you raided the district or area transport compound and found enough vehicles that weren't VORd for repairs)
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC
I don't think the Grizzlies have been in front line service for quite sometime.

Yes the Reserves could use them...byt they say there are over 250 surplus Grizzlies.... so rather than spend the money to keep them maintained, why not give them to some country that can put them to use.

That no withstanding,....I do understand the train of thought that if we can afford to give these away, how come we can't afford some new kit for our Reg forces.....fact of the matter is....the Grizzlies aren't costing us anything to give away...we already own them...and they are surplus....so they aren't costing us anything other then sending a few troops over to show them how to use and maintain them.
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 10:26 AM UTC
Mike,sorry to hijack a very good question.

Jim
Figure_11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 85 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 12:10 AM UTC
Do you think if I wrote Bill Graham a nice letter, I could have a Grizzly?

"what's that? A Land Rover parked across 2 parking spots?"
*Squish*
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 01:20 PM UTC
Hi

I also heard the US was trying to block this given there is US technology included and they didn't give permission to have it transfered.

As far as colours go, whatever colour is or isn't applied it would likely fade fairly quickly. I don't think we would repaint them and I suspect the AU would just be happy to have them.

T
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 831 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 01:13 AM UTC
As I sit here in my planning tent on the Mattawa Plain preparing to go to Kabul, I find I have to side with Jim Caddo. The Grizzlies are old but just went through an overhaul. The technology is not that much different that a Bison, less the fourth axle. Yes it would cost us to keep them and maintain them, but for training purposes in Canada, it would be better than nothing. Furthermore, we have been told that we cannot afford to maintain multiple fleets of vehicles, yet every year the department turns in hundreds of millions of dollars back to the government. So I don't buy that argument. II believe we can afford to keep them, give them to the Militia and that ir would be worthwhile. I also would suggest we would get more bang for our bucks, if senior departmental positions were military rather than civilian, such as ADM (Mat).

Now lets talk this one out!
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 577 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 02:05 AM UTC
If I remember correctly, were the Grizzlies not intended for the Reserve Inf units (mechanized :-) ) like the 48Th Highlanders in TO. The regs clawed them back when the UN tasked required a wheeled/armoured vehicle. It would be nice for these surplus veh to be available to the Reserves but with the mandated training requirements and the additional maintenance load I do not think that they would be well employed. Unless of course we get more $$$ for paying our reservists :-) :-) :-) . Hopefully they are going to a good cause and it would be interesting to see them in a different cam/ colour scheme.
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 05:06 AM UTC
Paul how's the weather?

Just to add,even if they weren't just rebuilt what better way to teach BN maint. Hands on is always better if something needs it rather than learning on new stuff.

The LSSR in my old building was mech. inf. in its past.Why not make this type of unit mech. again.A good example of the need was the Ice Storm.6X6 trucks and armoured vehicles were all that could trulely get around.Lets look out for #1 (CDN) before we look after everyone else for once!

Since the early '80s the gov. has cut so much it will take 30 years if ever to get it back to it glory days.So why not keep them here (the Griz)

Old and worn is better than nothing at all.

Jim
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 831 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 01:50 AM UTC
ACtually the AVGP family, (Cougar Grizzly and Husky), were bought primarily for Regular Force units in Canada, with a small number going to selected reserve units. One sat on the drill hall flor at Fort Yotk for so long, I thought the RRegt of C was afraid to get it dirty.
It was the Bison that was bought for the Reserves as part of the Land Force Reserve Modernization. However, they were reallocated to the REgular Force as there was nothing else suitable to take to Somlia.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 4,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 160 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 06:05 PM UTC
I saw a photo over on Combat Camera of the Grizzly driver's course taking place in Senegal. The Grizzlies have not been repainted, they are still in NATO green.

100 Grizzlies and 5 Huskies were in the package sent to the African Union troops.
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 813 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2005 - 12:20 AM UTC
I gotta get in on this.... way too close to home
As a former member in the BCR's I think I would like to see a couple of vehicles come our way. The regiment may be a militia unit and viewed by some ( higher-ups)as unimportant but to lend,sell give these vehicles away is just wrong. Keep'em with our troops , let them train on them, and least give them proper recce vehicles,.
My 2 cents
Cheers
Joker
 _GOTOTOP