Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
trip to normandy
kursk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 214 Posts
KitMaker Network: 110 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 06:15 AM UTC
hi
im planning a trip to france to vist the d/day beaches aslo the area of goodwood, does anyone know of good museums to vist ??? sites of intrest?? we want to include villers bocage and the brit armoured push.
cheers
dave
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 850 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 06:32 AM UTC
There are loads of great things there. I recommend this book:
http://www.guide-books.co.uk/normandy.html

Pegasus Bridge is good, nice museum. There is a 360 degree cinema at Arromanches. Also the US cemetery at St. Laurent, and the museum at Utah Beach if you head up that way. There is an airborne museum in St. Mere Eglise, and the huge Memorial museum in Caen. They're just a few off the top of my head.

EDIT: Also, there is not a lot to see in the Goodwood area. A trip along the beaches would be much more interesting.
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 1,281 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 07:34 AM UTC
Hi mate

Vist the beaches a must, if you are going toward caen stop at hill 112 near Mondreainville have a little read up on hill 112 dose not look much now but some real serious fighting there Mondrainville is a nice little village they have a street named after Ted Chapman VC BEM and a school named after my old man and his mate, Ecole Edwards -Griffths ...lol sorry for the plug for the old man could not resist it.
Cheers Chris
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
entire network: 5,653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 08:14 AM UTC
Hi David!

Sois le bienvenue en France!

I was at Omaha beach and there is an interesting museum there with lots of original artifacts... not only weaponery but a lot of these little details wich where part of the whole story... and a Sherman recovered from the sea!
The Caen Memorial is also worth the visit, with a lot of technical informations about D-Day and ... a Typhoon hanging in the hall!
My favorite was the Arromanche site. The museum is build so that you can see the relicts of the artificial seaport while in the museum? and... there are a LOT of models and dioramas!

Have a good visit!

Jean-Luc
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 08:26 AM UTC
Don't forget Major Howard and Pegasus bridge. That is one place I would like to see.
dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 585 Posts
KitMaker Network: 201 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 07:40 PM UTC
There's a nice little museum in Falaise (built in an old cheese factory apparently), not far from the castle, which has some nice vehicle exhibits, plus a 1/35 diorama of the liberation of Falaise itself.
As Davester mentions, a trip along the beaches is good idea- I took along a copy of 'Gold Juno Sword' by Georges Bernage (available from Amazon) which has some nice 'then and now' photos which really let you into the journey. It's incredible when you look at some of the seafront and know that some of the buildings and houses used to be gun emplacements...
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 07:52 AM UTC
We hope to go to Brittany this year so we will pass through Normandy , hope to do a tour around.I went in 99 stayed at a place called ile de oleron lovely place, we visited Fort Boyard a Napolionic Fort and la Rochelle they have a Fort and prison guarding the harbour entrance facinating place then there was the huge german gun emplacements on the atlantic coast, those thing are seriously big.
geofroley
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 12:35 PM UTC
I reccomend a trip to some batteries. Theres one near Arromanches and one a couple miles away from St. Mere Eglise. The airborne museum in St. Mere Eglise is a must as well, very nice. Pegasus Bridge was great. Hell, just a drive around the area gives an awesome rush. Everywhere you drive around the beaches, Caen, and St. Mere Eglise was where the heavy fighting was. I highly reccomend Normandy, incredible place to visit!
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 01:21 AM UTC
just got back 3 weeks ago theres a small museum at Tilly worth a look, also have a vist to the Hillman strong point