_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
German Railroad Gun K5(E) Leopold HELP
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 08:41 AM UTC
I am getting the 280mm German Railroad Gun K5(E) Leopold gun for Farthers Day this year. I read some reviews about how hard it is from finescale model and it looks fun but B_I_G_ . I was wondering how hard it would be for a beginner to high beginner modeler if it's out of my league. I didn't order it yet I just wanted to see if anyone built this kit and if it has to have allot of TLC to make things fit.

I want to do a dio like verlinden did in one of his books but take my time with it and if there's any PE sets out there that would be available to add to it. I would still do a campaign model here and there but would work mainly on this 280mm German Railroad Gun K5(E) Leopold.

I figure it would take me roughly 6 months to a year if I do it. Because the reviews say it has allot of flaws.

Happy Modeling
(++) 1:35
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 08:44 AM UTC
Which one are you getting? Dragon or Trumpeter? I know some folks on here have built either. It may be worth searching the site.

HTH
Pete
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 902 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 08:47 AM UTC
Tom wich one are you thinking of getting? Trumpeter or DML?

DML's is more simplistic than Trumpeters. There are many AM parts for both. P/E and Turned barrels if you wish to go that route.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 08:52 AM UTC
I have sucessfully built the Dragon kit.
If you have the standard skills,there are no hang ups during the build.In general,planning the assembly to make it easy to paint inner areas is the only part you should go over in your mind before assembling.If you recieve the Dragon kit,post here or in the Armor section and I will see what I can do.
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 02:51 PM UTC
I will probably get the Trumpeter 280mm German Railroad Gun K5(E) Leopold gun the reviews said there somewhat the same but the Trumpeter one has more detail. I know it's harder and doesn't come with figures but I can get them after I am done or need a break from the Rail Gun.

What where the tricky spots so I know what to plan for.How many kits do you think become worpted and I might have to straighten it out that's a thing that might turn me away and sell it as used kit on EBAY.

Thank for all the :-) HELP :-) :-)

Happy Modeling
(++) 1:35
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 10:48 PM UTC
Tom,check the Perth Military Modeling site,I believe they had a side by side comparison of the 2 kits.Also there might be a list of coonstruction notes on each.
sarge
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 130 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 05:55 AM UTC
hi i,m about threequarters of the way through building trumpeters leopold and it goes together very well . the only advice i can give is to make sure you take your time with the barrel as this is visually very prominent and a seem line would be very prominent otherwise a superb and stunning kit
feelpanzer
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
entire network: 122 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 06:37 AM UTC
hello, it is a huge try for a starter, to start with such a
big gun K5e but don't be scarred. It needs guts to do it !! I'm looking forward to see some pic's of the evolutuion of the gun.

For all the other folks who are working on one or are instrested in K5e, I'm working on a k5e from ironside
all in resin and pe and a lot of scrath build.

The gun is build and i'm in the air-brush sektion now.

I will put it on a Vögele turntable for a more specific
result of detail. (pic's are in my gallery of the turntable)
(other pic's are following)

You also have to visit ; www.one35th.com

they have a sektion of k5e lot of real photo's and a lot of scale models of the k5e from differend brands.

modeling greetings, feelpanzer.
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 12:56 PM UTC
What was used too load the shells onto the leopold an was there any special truck or prime mover used to deliver the shells. Is there any place I can buy extra shells to put on the delivery truck etc.

Sorry to be so vaguely about this subject but I am new to ww2 German Railroad guns. I want do a dio an have it correct. I also bought the germen locomotive 52 to pull it.

Happy modeling
William DeCicco
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 02:25 PM UTC
I agree. Take your time. One of my first builds, upon returning to armor, was Dragon's Karl Morser. I really wish I had held off, until I was a little more experienced. A seam line on any barrel is a big "no, no". I've found the easiest way to ensure a barrel is round is to line the edges with a mixture of putty (I use auto body filler) and superglue. Press the two pieces together, making sure they line up, clamp and let dry. Once dry, use a sanding sponge to remove the excess putty and glue. Wish you the best of luck on this one.
 _GOTOTOP