_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
out of space
kursk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 214 Posts
KitMaker Network: 110 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 - 11:10 PM UTC
i wonder if someone can help me??? im running out of space indoors and am considering moving to a shed in the garden. ill buy a newshed and do it out for modelling but whats the drawbacks? ive being warned about condenstion, and the effect on of the cold on paint,decals. not sure about heating. i know that people have sheds out as proper rooms but not sure how to go on. all replys welcome.
ps hit my 40s and buying a shed!!!!!!!!
dave
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 - 11:21 PM UTC
Well - I model in a garage with no true insulation so it gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter. The heat definitely affects the shelf life of my glue and a bit on the paints. The cold simply makes the consistancy a bit thick.

If you have the ability to insulate the shed insulate it and include a vapor barrier. I don't know how thick the walls will be... usually sheds are thin walled so you may need to get boad insulation not rolled insulation. They make insulation in a large foam 'board' you cut shape kinda like a piece of plywood.
The vapor barrier is a sheet of plastic (heavy heavy duty kitchen plastic wrap). It is stapled to the inside of the wall before putting on the finishing interior dry wall.

So from the inside out your wall would be
1. Dry wall
2. Vapor barrier
3. insulation (foam or roll)
4. exterior sheething (clapboards)
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 04:36 AM UTC
Scott pretty much covered what I would have suggested. How large will the shed be? If it's somewhat small you could heat it with a small electric heater and bypass the cold effects issue. You might consider the purchase of a de-humidifier. I have one for my room in the basement. The humidy can get as high as 70% here in the summer. It has made a difference on the decal survival.

I've often thought of doing what you're doing, I would like to put in a building about the size of a single car garage. That way I can build specifically for modeling. Plumb it...nice counter tops...cabinets..the whole nine yards....it would be nice.

Post photos when you get it built!

Steve
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 06:53 AM UTC
Scott, won't your wife let you keep your glues in the fridge until you need them, I know on my fridge, I got a big stick butter keeper, but I never buy any stick butter, so I keep all my super glues in that door until I need them.

Kerry
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 07:26 AM UTC
Dave,I live in Essex and I keep my completed and unmade models in my shed, its just an ordinary garden shed baught at Homebase Ive done nothing to it no heating or insulation.I have had a Italieri Tiger1 in there for four years no varnish on the decals no problems except its crewed by some wood lice.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 09:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

its crewed by some wood lice.

Um,are they painted in the correct colors on their uniforms?
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 04:03 PM UTC
just guessing you will electric in your shed. what i did in my previous shed was to wire it with a separate breaker/fuse box. that way when i used it i could turn the power on when i was working in it. i also had a small fridge for all the necessities, that way i didn't have to make trips to the house for drinks, snacks etc.

and i had wall outlets every 6 feet so that i had access from any point in the shed. and lights were the ceiling flourescent type. better lighting and cheaper on the juice bill. the wall outlets were set above the level of the work bench so that there was no bending over to plug and unplug.

and the work bench heighth was set so i could put my roller tool cabinent underneath, so i had easy access to tools and didn't take up shelf space.

i put hooks in the ceiling rafters so i could hang things to dry after painting as needed.

my shed interior was ten by twelve feet, and that seemed to work for me. the interior heighth was eight feet standard. had one window, and my heating was a small prpane heater found in camping supplies.

hope this helps you......

reb
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 08:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

its crewed by some wood lice.

Um,are they painted in the correct colors on their uniforms?

Checked them this morning definately a worn black colour but they have been in the field a long time :-)
 _GOTOTOP