_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Suggestion for the Crescendo 175
stronniel
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 50 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 04:33 PM UTC
I have seen the Badger 175 at a local hobby shop and on dixieart.com. I noticed that some people use it. Do those who use it like it, or should I hold my cash and wait to get something else like an Iwata? This will be my first AB, but I am not afraid to learn on a double action instead of a single. I plan to do 1/35 scale armor, eventually some with a detailed camo scheme if needed. Will this AB provide the detail that I will need for that scale? If it will not produce camo in that scale, can you suggest an airbrush or two that can do the job nicely? Do a lot of people here still use their old single ABs that they traded up from? I could understand that some people would use the single still for easier paint work, and then go to the detail if needed, especially if the single is easier to clean. If a single is really the best way to go, I might go that route. Sorry to even bring an AB suggestion question up, since it's almost like beating a dead horse.

Thanks,
Jason
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 10:15 PM UTC
My Evolution was Paasche H to a Passche VL and Now I'm using a Iwata HP-C ( and the VL when i need to spray alot of a singlr color
stronniel
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 50 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 09:11 AM UTC
I have done some thinking and I might stick to most people's advice and get s single action airbrush to begin with. I will just work on the models with single color paint schemes, then, when I get better, I can upgrade to the dual action later. I suppose it would be better to learn control on an easier AB and then upgrade. Some said that following this plan means that I will have to relearn how to use the dual action AB, but whatever makes me better in the long run is what is important. Plus, like others said, when I will be spraying single color schemes on a model, I can just break out the ol' faithful single action and spray away. It sounds like they are easier to clean anyways. Thanks for the info btw, Matt.

Jason
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 12:28 PM UTC
Hi stronniel,

My suggestion is to buy the double action rather than the single action. It would be cheaper in the long run because you do not have to buy two ABs. Its actually quite easy to learn using a double action -- it'll probably take you less than a day to get used to it. I started airbrushing using a double action, BTW, my AB is a crescendo 175 and its my only AB....and so far I'm satisfied. The Crescendo I bought came with 3 needles fine (F), medium (M) and large (L). For camo schemes I use the F and for base coats I have yet to use the M.

Hope this helps too.

Cheers
Arvin
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 12:47 PM UTC
Hey there

the Badger 175 is a great airbrush and after I got it i scraped all my testors single and double action airbrushs.. used it for a year and was very happy with it.

however after a year I got a good deal on a Badger 360.. (same as the anthiem 155 but the color cup rotates for gravity and siphon feed) and clean up on that airbrush is so easy.. and it does just about everything I want it to do..

so I use the 360 more than the 175... not because the 175 is bad but because I personally feel the 155/360 is easier to clean up and use..

_GOTOTOP