_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
whats wrong and how to improve
panzer67
Visit this Community
Nuevo Leon, Mexico
entire network: 150 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 03:39 PM UTC
since i have my camera powershot A85 i take a lot of pics, the familiar pics, no problem all are ok but...

when i try to take pics of my models the situation is really bad.

i let in auto the camera, with support, but the models are not sharp in the pics, lack of deffinition of image

as an example:

i need to improve my way to take pics, so what is the most recommended way to take the pics.

appreciate your help
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 04:05 PM UTC
Hi,

Nice build you got there.

DId you turn on the 'macro' setting? It is the icon with the flower.

It allows you to take close-up shots.

moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 04:19 PM UTC
hi panzer67...

the blurring in the pic is usually caused by camera shake. you can avoid this by mounting the camera on a tripod and setting the self timer... this is bcoz when you press the shutter it momentarily 'shakes' the camera, just a little, but enough to blur the pics. another reason is insufficient lighting. try using a desk/reading lamp on the model.

.. or simply just take the pic outdoors with the tripod, and set your camera on 'landscape' mode (small aperture).
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 04:26 PM UTC
No camera shake... the background is quite sharp in the second picture. I'm leaning towards Danny's suggestion. Lok for a button with a flower icon, also, see if you have a spot meter which will set a cross hair inthe middle of your viewfinder. Switch that on if you have it.
panzer67
Visit this Community
Nuevo Leon, Mexico
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 05:47 PM UTC
thanks for yours tips
the camera had the option to be auto but the result is the same.

tomorrow will try outdoors to try again

i wish to have the pics with a quality as the pics many more ( very sharp models ) no clouds or bluring.

thanks again and until tomorrow with this problem.

Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 07:20 PM UTC
Hey there looks like you just need a few tips and some practice. there are several features on using digatal cameras in the general modeling / photography section on the site.

here is the link to them..

PHOTOGRAPHY & WEB

nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 10:26 PM UTC
1st pic is camera shake, as well as being out of focus. second picture it is back focused (ie focusing on the background not the subject).

To fix:

1. Use a tripod.

2. You need to know how close your camera can focus, it will be in the instructions. You probably have a 'macro' setting (might look like a picture of a flower) this will help with focusing closer, but there is still a limit to how close you can get.

3. Use aperture mode or manual mode and set the aperture to the largest number (which is the smallest aperture and gives the best depth of field). I think you will find it is f8 on the cannon A series. The smaller the aperture (larger number) the less light is let through so you will need to use a longer shutter speed. Because of this you will need the tripod.

Depth of field also reduces the closer you get to the subject, which is why it is very important to use the smallest aperture you can. If you still canlt get all of the model in focus, try pulling back and framing the subject a little more losely. If you have the camera set to it's highest quality setting you can crop a little bit to make up for this.

I use lenses that can be stopped down to f45 for photographing things like tiny cracks in aircraft components, and a Nikon D1x, to get really sharp results out of an A85 you will have to work at it.

You also need to look at your lighting, if there is back lighting you will get flare, you need to light from above and behind the camera. Try shooting outside on a cloudy day, with the sun behind you. You can use a piece of white card to bounce light into the more shaded or under side of the model to help fill the shadows. Trust me, this simple reflector works very well, even with a full set of studio lights and many different types of reflectors, diffusers etc, often the best results are gained by the simplest methods. You can't go past one light source and a reflector. You can see the difference straight away, just by moving the peice of card closer or further from the model you will see what I mean.
panzer67
Visit this Community
Nuevo Leon, Mexico
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 05:06 PM UTC
Really thank you for all the comments, are appreciated will take all yours comments in mind.
panzer67
Visit this Community
Nuevo Leon, Mexico
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 05:02 PM UTC
these are using the white styrene sheet as a base, daylight and support 1.5 ft distance, and the result changed a lot of the initial pics

comments are wellcome, is unfinished but was just to practice the pics
 _GOTOTOP