History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
A good excuse for working in your garden
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 04:31 AM UTC
This was posted on another site I hang out at and I love it.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?ObjectID=10115361

A metal object struck by a couple digging out their back garden recently later turned out to be a four-tonne army tank.

Jane and Emanuel Hurley discovered the World War 2 bren-gun carrier on their Ohaupo property, 17km south of Hamilton.

A few weeks ago, Mr Hurley was rotary hoeing the garden when he struck metal.

"He started uncovering it, thinking he could pull whatever it was out, but he had no luck," said Mrs Hurley.

A neighbour who owned contracting machinery also had no joy so they all took a break for a day or so.

"Then a friend made it his mission to uncover whatever it was," said Mrs Hurley.

"He had a go at it every day or so and slowly exposed it."

When they realised the enormity of what they had found, they called in a scrap dealer who had to use two trucks for two hours to haul out the mystery object.

Mrs Hurley said they realised it was some kind of military vehicle.

She took photographs and was editing them on the computer in their antique shop Collectamania when a customer identified it as a bren-gun carrier. More checking confirmed its identity.

Mr Hurley said the carrier was beyond repair.

Mrs Hurley had heard some former military vehicles were used on farms after the war.

"The things you find in your garden," she said.

Not only that, but they now have a huge hole to fill.

"Who knows, we might even put a swimming pool in.".

Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 07:46 AM UTC
Where I live they keep digging stuff up from the war I think their called 250kg bombs, we get evacuated at least twice a year.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 11:21 AM UTC
Pretty cool!

On a related note, at the end of the war, a considerable number of halftracks made their way into Kansas as well. The government gave them to farmers for use as tractors. Every now and again, another is found in some forgotten iron pile rusting away with the rest of the farm junk.

andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 01:59 PM UTC
Hi Rodger,
that is the only news I heard of that bren carrier being found. There are a few still being used as farm vehicles down in the south Island. Also some have been rescued and restored
generalrazo
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 05:02 PM UTC
Neat story...thanks for sharing
Reece
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 03:26 PM UTC
I might have to start a garden :-)
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2005 - 11:46 PM UTC
Farming in northern France is also a nice business...

I have seen shots of "unexploded WW I shells" collecting sites. They were just layed together, and in a few days the bomb-squad would come to pic them up.

Supposedly a few massive ammo-dumps are still missing.
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 06:00 PM UTC
I don't have a garden in Singapore cos i live in an apartment, but even if i have, Singapore is so small, and so developed that i dont think i can find anything. We did found bombs here and there from the japanese airforce but most of them are at the coastal areas thats when singapore was into land reclaimation works way back in the 80s. The naval diving unit got rid of them. But as for now the only thing that still stand in Singapore are the the bunkers and pill boxes which are converted and restored for educational tours and museums.
When i was in the army last year i had the previllage to stay in an off shore island which still have WW2 pillboxes which are not restored. Eventhough its totally in ruins, standing in there,i can imagine and feel what was in the soldiers minds at that time. Most probably Gurkhas, australians or british soldiers were stationed there.