History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Author Stephen Ambrose dies at 66
PfcGreen
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 103 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 01:47 AM UTC
Just found this out, truly a great loss:

NEW ORLEANS, Oct. 13 — Stephen E. Ambrose, whose best-selling books made America’s aging World War II veterans hometown heroes again, died early Sunday at a Bay St. Louis, Miss., hospital. He was 66.

When Ambrose discovered he had lung cancer, he said the likely terminal diagnosis was in some respects liberating because “you can do whatever the hell you want. Who’s going to criticize you? And if they do, what the hell do you care?”
By the time he became ill, Ambrose’s snowballing success had grown into a dynamic family industry that ranged from top-dollar lectures to movie consulting and even historical tours run by one of his sons.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 07:01 AM UTC
Heard this news early today and was going to post it myself.

I had posted about his having cancer a couple months ago. Was hoping he would make a full recovery. I had heard he was quite a smoker. Really a bad habit to have I guess...

We had debated a bit about his writing style, but I certainly think his passing with many years of research still ahead of him is a great loss. It is also unfortunate that the accusations of plagerism had clouded his final days.

I can't think of anyone who has done more in the last 10 years to make a new generation remeber and appreciate the sacrifices that were made by many brave Americans 60 years ago. So often we hear about the Germans, etc. I think Ambrose did a wonderful job of telling the story of the G.I.

And, hopefully, his D-day museum will continue to grow and flourish.

He will be well remembered for his contributions.

Steve
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 07:44 AM UTC
Awww man.I just now started getting into his books.This is truely awful.Ill have to go to New Orleans and pay my respects by going to the museum.I heard it is really good.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 12:30 PM UTC
I too herd about this sad loss this morning.

Have said a small pray for his sake and his passing. He will be missed as an author, and to those who knew him, a friend and loved one.

Dave
clovis899
Visit this Community
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 06:12 PM UTC
Gentlemen,

Thank you for sharing the sad news. My prayers go out to his family during this difficult time. We have lost one of our finest historical storytellers.

Coop
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 06:17 PM UTC
he will be missed
GSPatton
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 04:19 AM UTC
The world is a bit dimmer with his passing.
D-Day
Band of Brothers
The Wild Blue
Lewis and Clark
The Trans-Contential Railroad
Ike
Are but some of the topics he wrote about. Ambrose put you in drop zones around Normandy, on Omaha Beach, sweating out the flight in to the target as a B-24 crewman, crossing the mighty Rockies, and into the mindset of the man who held the allies together through WWII.
His death is our loss.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 04:29 AM UTC
His loss only adds to the urgency to record the stories of as many WW2 veterans as we can. Before they are lost to us forever.
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 08:48 AM UTC
I was deeply sorry to hear of the passing of Stephen Ambrose. I recently finished his book "Victors" and have started "D-Day". Although I did not always agree with his opinions, I enjoyed the way he used interviews to bring an event to life. His style of conveying facts have allowed people who would be turned off by dry history books to really take an interest and learn about important events in history.
Andrew
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 08:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you for sharing the sad news. My prayers go out to his family during this difficult time

Earth has to miss another author..... His writing being good or bad...... it will be missed for sure !!!

Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 10:25 AM UTC
I just finished Victors myself.M1garand you have a very good point about recording as many tales as we can because the "greatest generation" is no longer going to be here soon.Iv'e known it for quite some time but I truely didnt realize it until now.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 - 03:38 PM UTC
I've read every one if his books, and think he was one of the best historians of his generation. He knew how to tell a lot of facts as if they were a story, and he could make for compelling reading.

I read an article that said he used to take his family on vacation along the route of the Louis and Clark expedition, just to get the feel of what they saw, and what they had to put up with.

I know he had some problems recently, but I for one will miss this man, and this historian, a great deal. I know he had more to tell us.

Mike

andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 04:56 PM UTC
Hi guys
I have only ever read one his books band of brothers and i thought that was very good. Now the rest of you have inspired me to read his books.

Andy007