_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Homemade paint ‘stirrer’
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 02:44 AM UTC
Nigel1210’s enquiry about a paint shaker got me thinking about the lack of such items here in the UK!

Just the thought of shaking endless tins and bottles of paint until they were correctly mixed almost put me off painting. To counter this a ‘bespoke’ stirrer was required.

Take an old ‘electric’ toothbrush, remove the bristles, superglue a Popsicle stick to the toothbrush head and tape a top half of a 35mm film canister to the Popsicle stick. Add a few elastic bands and voila a paint stirrer is born!

Hope this helps!
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 07:02 AM UTC
A great idea. I also made a homemade "stirrer". I cut a length of sprue, with a bit of an "L" at the end. Placed the other end in a Dremel chuck. On low speed, it works just great.

Mike

Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 850 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 07:09 AM UTC
My toothbrush is fine. I just shake the tin.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2005 - 10:57 PM UTC
I've been using one of them big massager's to mix my paint good, it has 2 knobs on each end that rock back and forth just like the shakers at the paint store, so if I got 1 or 2 bottles, I can hold them one them knobs with my fingers, while the massager is laying down on the chair beside me.

Then turn on the massager, then adjust the speed, now if I could find a way, there would be a way to tie on 4 bottles, cause it has 4 knobs, but for now I just hold them with my finger for a minute or 2.

It shakes them up way better then I ever could, then with the bb's in the bottles, they do great. They can't be a vibrating massager, they haft to be the ones that rock back and forth, and as they are rocking back and forth, they are going up and down, I almost forgot that, if you have one.
Kerry
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 12:36 AM UTC
I just take one of those long wooden q-tips the doctors use.. cut the wood off a bit deeper than my paint bottle..

take a hobby knife and whittle the 2 sides of of one end to make it flat.. put it in my cordless dremel at 7500 rpm and a few seconds later perfectly stirred paint....

just have to be carefull not to pull it out of the bottle to fast or you will get splatter...

redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2005 - 01:41 AM UTC
I used to have a bit for the drill to mix paint. I made it by bending a piece of copper wire into a triangle. I soldered a small rod onto the corner to put into the drill and then soldered a small copper plate from a light switch across the middle of it. The plate had a few holes in it.

It worked really well but over time I have lost it.
 _GOTOTOP