_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: KitMaker USA
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Pennsylvania Roll Call!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 11:37 PM UTC
Greetings, and a hearty OO-RAH to all of the plastiholics out there! It's been a while since I've been active in the forums(just not enough time for all that is good!), a special hello to my fellow Keystone State modelists! Say hey back and let me know what you all have been up to!
Gunny
Delbert
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 12:38 AM UTC
Hey ya....... eastern PA replying..... been working, eating, sleeping and building models..... sometimes not in that order though.........

RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 09:20 PM UTC
Gunny,
Fellow stoner. Been working on several Campaign models. Ardennse, AOW,ADID,QP,TD.
All this amongst Active Duty here in NJ. For the Flag,
and not myself. LOL Caint wait till its all over. Keep up the building and keep in touch with the forum. Tod
generalrazo
Visit this Community
entire network: 312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 01:37 PM UTC
Hi guys! A big hello from eastern PA...what counties are you fellas in? I'm in Schuylkill.I just finished up a DAK Sd.Kfz 222 and I'm currently working on an Opel Blitz....

Eddie
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 01:29 AM UTC
Greetings, Ed...
Lawrence County is my HQ...Western PA, New Castle Area...Been through Schuykill a time or two myself...very nice part of the world...What's your main modeling interests, general?
Gunny
redneck
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 07:01 AM UTC
Hello guys.
I’m out here in the southern end mountains in Somerset county.

Its always nice to find people from the area.

I’m just starting on a WWII Dio of an American infantry squad moving past a bombed out building.
generalrazo
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 02:18 PM UTC
Hey Gunny, thanks for your interest....I mostly enjoy WWII German AFV's in 1/35 scale. You?

Eddie
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 11:21 PM UTC
Greetings, Eddie...
I'm always interested in hearing about others interests, favorites, and such...Personaly, I have a very broad range of interest in modeling subjects...this month it may be WWII axis armor, next month it may be modern desert dio's! That's what is really so great about this hobby...I've been at it for over 30 years now, and although there is alot of repetition in kit subjects, the limits are applied only by your imagination...lately, there has been alot of really good new kits released by the smaller model manufacturers in the world that has spawned a great amount of ideas from myself...keep modeling, general, and feel free to write me anytime you want to just talk plastic(or resin!).
Sincerely,
Mark "Gunny" Smith

P.S.-How about posting some pic's of your work, don't be shy, Bro!
generalrazo
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 - 03:35 PM UTC
Hey Mark, thanks for making me feel so welcome here and I appreciat your offer concerning the PM's...I just might take you up on it some day

Perhaps I will post some of my work...I have and Opel Blitz / PAK 40 in progress and will take pictures of it soon.

Thanks again,
Eddie
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 10:37 PM UTC
I have a mailing address in Ephrata That is in Lancaster county About halfway between Philly and Harrisburg I am usually on the road as truck driver I take my models with me

How are the local area hobby shops for you guys? The ones around here aren't the greatest as far as armor goes
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 04:47 AM UTC
Nice to read some of those 'ol place names. I am now in Portland, OR. I used to live in Pittsburgh. They put on a pretty good model show there. So does Columbus, OH. Not a bad drive. We just have two good shows out here, but they are pretty good.

Go STEELERS!
generalrazo
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 12:24 PM UTC
I knew there was something I liked about you Burik...you like the best team in the NFL!

Eddie
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 02:39 AM UTC
Hey Chad would you mind if a ask who you drive for?

When I was a kid my parents owned a truck and drove for a few companies.
Now I live with my mother and no longer have a truck but we still have a CB in the car and the house so we know a few of the truckers around here.

As for model shops I’m sorry to say I can’t help you but if I find any I’ll let you know.
And I would greatly appreciate it if you would let me know if you find any around Somerset county.
gckpa2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 09:57 AM UTC
Hi Everyone, Pittsburgh area here, there are 2 real good hobby shops in this area that I'm familiar with both in Cranberry around 79 and the turnpike.
I also am in trucking and work at the Mack dealer in town.
STEELERS RULE!! (almost)
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 01:49 PM UTC
Hi Gary,
I'm in Crafton! Welcome to ArmoramA.
I know of the 2 shops you're talking about but I've never managed to make it up to them yet. My buddy Joe Stewart works at the one on 19. You know him?
You ever get down to A. B. Charles in Dormont or the HobbyLobby in Robinson Township? Those are in my neck of the woods.
Craig
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 02:59 PM UTC
Craig:

Did you used to hang out with Jim Johnson? I think I recall you at the shows before I moved out here to The Great Northwest. My wife and I had a German exchange student who impressed Jim a little. Although you and I never met, I admired your work at the shows. I was just getting to be a better modeler at that time. Now I see that you are doing some work with Think 180. Nice.

I heard Jim moved to Buffalo, but I have not heard much about him in the magazines and since Ft Duquesne stopped producing...

I went to Canevin HS and so I know all about Crafton. I think I spent most of my HS days in that town. But I grew up in Stowe off McCoy Rd. My dad taught at Canevin and coached. I used to play basketball on the playgrounds in Crafton all the time. Ah, memories ...

Bob
gckpa2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 10:52 PM UTC
Thanks Craig,
Joe is Good People!! He's helped me out many times, always willing to take time to talk.
It's funny but I've never been to the HL in Robinson even though I work 20 minutes from it. (North Side).It's on my list of thing to do.
I actually live in Lower Burrell so it's easier to hit the North shops on my way home.
What is the story on AB Charles? Is that a hobby shop?
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 12:21 AM UTC
Hi Bob,
Yeah, I knew Jim from my IPMS club. It was Jim that got me painting figures. And I do remember your German exchange student. He was a nice kid and very good painter. A shame we never got to meet. Thanks for the kind comments about my pieces.
After Jim moved to Buffalo he sort of disappeared. I think he's buried in the snow up there. If any place has enough snow to cover him it's Buffalo :-)
I grew up in Crafton Heights and went to Langley. But I had a bunch of friends that went to Canevin. When did you graduate? I got out in 1976.

Gary, AB Charles is the big hobby shop in the South Hills. Seems like its been around forever. It's located on West Liberty Avenue (Rt. 19), across from McMinn Olds car dealership. As for the Hobbyland, my IPMS club is doing another "Meet the Modelers" next Saturday, June 25th. When I get the times I'll put up a post about it. If you can, stop by and say hello. It'd be good to meet you.
Craig
gckpa2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 01:36 AM UTC
Thanks Craig,
That definetly sound do-able, I can kill 2 birds with one stone on the 25th. Looking forward to meeting you, I'll watch for your post.
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 06:11 AM UTC
I graduated from Canevin in 1982. A little basketball propelled me to Penn State - Behrend in Erie. Now those winters up there suck! Luckily, I move onto main campus at State College for my last two years. Much more agreeable, and many more students (52,000). If you could not find a good time in State College you were either dead or weren't trying. I think I played basketball everyday for two years there, and then the bars... I don't remember going to class. :-)

AB Charles is a very good hobby shop. I never really went to any others even though I had about a 30 minute drive to get there. When I left Pittsburgh I bet they took a big drop in revenue!
Max_Fischer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 639 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 07:31 AM UTC
Hey im heading to Penn State this week any good model shops around Hershey?
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Chad would you mind if a ask who you drive for?

When I was a kid my parents owned a truck and drove for a few companies.
Now I live with my mother and no longer have a truck but we still have a CB in the car and the house so we know a few of the truckers around here.

As for model shops I’m sorry to say I can’t help you but if I find any I’ll let you know.
And I would greatly appreciate it if you would let me know if you find any around Somerset county.

I work for US Xpress There used to be some really great shops in Lancaster area But they have long since closed up
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 - 12:35 AM UTC
I don’t think I know any one driving for US Xpress.

Gary I know I knew someone who drove for macktrucks I just can remember who it was.
I’m thinking it was one of my brothers or could have even been my Dad after they split up.
You wouldn’t happen to have known any Walkers driving for them?

I know we’ve talked with a few of there drivers running the turnpike.
gckpa2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 - 10:28 PM UTC
Hi Jacob,
Sorry don't know any Walkers from out your way, but we get a ton of drivers through the dealership and I've been here 20+ years so I'm sure our paths have crossed.at one time or another.
PZKFWIII
Visit this Community
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 02:19 PM UTC
Hey!

This is new since I last was here. Reading area here, I model mostly German WWII stuff, and Model Railroading as well.

Glad to see a bunch of guys from the Keystone State sniffin' glue!

Rich
 _GOTOTOP