Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Modellers and firearms??
RottenFuhrer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 284 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 01:21 AM UTC
I have seen it mentioned from time to time that many of us here are also shooters and hunters. I love my modelling but I also love my firearm collection and time spent at the range. I'm just wondering how many of us are there here at Armorama?
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 01:33 AM UTC
Me, not collecting but shooting. I´m moving more and more into black powder...

janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 1,236 Posts
KitMaker Network: 153 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 01:36 AM UTC
I can be found on the range from time to time
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:00 AM UTC
I have a small collection of firearms, a smattering of rifles and shotguns in varying calibres.

Some of my favorites is a Browning BPS upland special pump 20 gauge, Dad has a refurbed M1 Garand, and my personal favorite is my Chinese SKS, with a converted stock and scope to make it look like a Russian SVD sniper rifle....great for deer hunting!!!!
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:15 AM UTC
I've sold off most of my firearms. I just don't seem to have the time to shoot anymore. I kept my shotgun for upland bird hunting and I stil have my bow for deer season. I traded my SKS for a 14 foot john-boat and two motors....good trade. Now I can float down the river and snag gar and bowfish carp.......fun!

I thought of offering my services to the State of Virginia or where ever else they have those Snakehead fish....they seem to be something worthy of being whacked by an arrow.

Steve
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:42 AM UTC
You got quite a deal for the SKS! Hell I remember buying 2 for $150 back in the days.

I customize Ruger 10/22s. Some I customer for accuracy, others just to look mean and put out a lot of lead very fast.

I also have a variety of Mossbery 500 and 590 shotties.
RottenFuhrer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 284 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:46 AM UTC
I'm an AR-15 man myself I have 3 complete rifles and about 4 additional uppers. I also have a STG-58 and a Cetme.
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 389 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:50 AM UTC
As a son of modeller and hunter dad, I've grove up with models and a variety of hunting guns. I've added to these passions also the trap shooting.
With my first made money I bought a 12 gauge Turkish made semiautomatic gun, a beauty. My favorite is my shooting gun, Beretta 682, another beauty. But my main "boar hunter" is a Browning 2000 12 gauge. With my father together we have 11 different guns with different gauges.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 04:56 AM UTC
Used to target shoot (National Gold Medal standard) - small bore & full bore, but draconian legislation and high costs mean I haven't been for years - miss it though.
Also was a firearms coach and safety instructor for a Cadet force, showing 13-18 year olds how to handle them safely.
peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:10 AM UTC
Except for when I was in the army, I haven't really shot for fun since I got out of target shooting just after coming home from Bisley (Commonwealth Rifle Matches).
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You got quite a deal for the SKS! Hell I remember buying 2 for $150 back in the days.

I thought so too. I wasn't really out of anything. Like you, I paid $75.00 bucks for mine, my dad sold guns so I could pick another ( I never did though) and I even threw in a case of Russian hollowpoints. It was ok, but I didn't need it.

At the time, Kansas seemed to be the Shangri La of exotic weapons...it was interesting to see what "surfaced" at gun shows.

Steve
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:36 AM UTC
I have my fair share of guns. Pistols, shotgun, SKS and origional WWII Mauser complete with matching serial numbers.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 07:24 AM UTC
I have owned guns, a S&W .45 revolver my Dad carried in WWII, a black power replica of a Kentucky long rifle, and a replica Navy Colt. For one reason or another they're all gone now. I may get another gun at some future time, but I find they are a bit pricey. I can get a lot more plastic goodies than I can metal ones.

sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
entire network: 761 Posts
KitMaker Network: 262 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 07:30 AM UTC
My real steel collection is pretty nil, and only consists of a Glock 26, HK USP, and a Bushmaster M4 lookeylikey.
My Airsoft collection is about 30 AEG's to include 3 M60 variants and 2 M249 SAWs, and about two dozen pistols. More fun to shoot other people than paper targets. Ammo is cheaper too...
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 07:56 AM UTC
I carried a gun for so long that the novelty kind of wore off, maybe cause some of the "targets" decided to shoot back once in a while. I mostly just fool around with the bow for fun and shooting carp from my backyard every so often,but I have a .380 for the occassional varmint on my deck, and a sawed off (legal-19") shotgun for burglary prevention (or if that Burger King thing shows up at my window )

Art
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 08:10 AM UTC
I have several including all marks of lee enfield and metfords. M1 carbine, k98 mauser and k98 22 used by youth in germany. Several shotguns , two original ross rifles and several others.

HastyP
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 08:13 AM UTC
I also have a few.
M-1 Garand, M1903A3 Springfield, M-1 Carbine, .22 rifle, M1911A1 .45, and a Walther P-38.
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 08:48 AM UTC
My main hobby for 35 years was shooting and competition. I reload for rifle and pistol. In my basement are approximatly 50,000 plus rounds of assorted rifle and pistol brass and enough primers, powder and bullets to load most of it.

I had to give up the IPSC competition due to health problems and have sold many of the firearms I collected over the years. The proceeds I used to buy computers :-) :-)

To support my modeling habit, I cast lead pistol bullets and sell them in bulk. 1,000 per box.

I was raised with fire arms from an early age, My Grand Mother taught me to shoot. She could light one of the old strike any where kitchen matches from 10 paces and put it out with the second shot without breaking the match.

jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 01:24 PM UTC
I've trimmed down the weaponry, I don't have time to shoot, or more to the point to maintain them.

Remaining are:
-- an early serial Enfield Nr 4 Mk I w/bayonet that my officers gave me as a going away gift .
-- a family heirloom LeFever Arms 16 ga shotgun.
-- a Enfield .38 pistol with no attachment other than WW2 era.

Every once in a while I start talking about giving some political or legal body "15 rounds rapid" with the Enfield and wifey hides the gun cabinet key ....

John
Ian2
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 97 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2005 - 03:37 AM UTC
I went through a patch of collecting militaria about 10 or so years ago and was a mamber of a re-enactment group for a while.

All of which has been sold off and about the only things I have left are a Mauser Gew 08 (like the Gew 1898 but with a Kar 98 backsight) made for Brazil (the crest is still visible on the receiver) and a MG 13 Dreyse with ammo cans, mags, spare barrel tube etc, both of which I picked up relatively cheaply as they aren't as sought after as the more famous weapons.

All deactivated to Brimingham Proof house specs.

I don't know what I'll end up doing with them, if the walls can take it, I'm thinking of hanging them up, with perhaps a small plaque or something with their specs on.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2005 - 04:00 AM UTC
Walthers P-38
S&W 357 Model 686
Browning 22 "Buck Mark" target rifle
SKS Para model
Beretta 12 gage
1962 Winchester 22 pump rifle