Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
How do you think the Lions will do?
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 08:56 PM UTC
Hi all,
Some of you Americans will have no Idea who the Lions are :-) They are a Rugby team from the Uk made up of players from England ,Scotland,Ireland and Wales. With in a few weeks they are coming to New Zealand for a tour they will be playing some provincal teams and the All Blacks.
After watching part of the game against Argentina the other day I think the Lions may struggle up front against the All Blacks. The main trouble the All Blacks will have will be that Pretty boy Johnny

So how does everyone think the Lions will do against the All Blacks?
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 10:40 PM UTC
I think if the All Blacks isolate Johnny the Lions don't stand a chance... I thought he was injured though??? I think Carlos Spencer's current form is a huge propblem for NZ...

Although the Super 12 is nothing to judge the level of the national teams, I think NZ looks stronger this year than last... afterall the Sprinboks won the Tri-Nations... I don't think that'll be the case this year... Forget the Lions tour... The Tri-Nations is when the real competition starts... :-)
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 10:49 PM UTC
The Lions will eat the Christians alive!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,
Some of you Americans will have no Idea who the Lions are :-) They are a Rugby team from the Uk made up of players from England ,Scotland,Ireland and Wales.

Hi Andrew. Some of you Kiwis will have no Idea who the Lions are either.
They are a Rugby team made up from players from Great Britan and Ireland. :-) :-)

Great Britan = England, Scotland and Wales.
United Kingdom = England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Ireland = Ireland.

This is not a political rant ... just a joke and an explanation.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 04:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,
Some of you Americans will have no Idea who the Lions are They are a Rugby team from the Uk made up of players from England ,Scotland,Ireland and Wales.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Andrew. Some of you Kiwis will have no Idea who the Lions are either.
They are a Rugby team made up from players from Great Britan and Ireland.

Great Britan = England, Scotland and Wales.
United Kingdom = England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Ireland = Ireland.

This is not a political rant ... just a joke and an explanation.

Frank, Thank you for showing me the error of my ways I should have known that. I always thought Great Britian was just another name for England Now I know.

Rudi, Johnny played the other day against Argentina but he has been injured for the last 8 months or something. I was rather disappointed the Bulls lost to the Waratahs I was hoping the Crusaders would have a hard game in the final. I am looking forward to the Tri- nations too its gonna be a bumper year of Rugby. :-)
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:09 PM UTC
Forget this season... how about next season??? The Super 14 should be even more exciting... fell for the Kiwi's and Ozzies anyway... SA will just have the bottom 5 places instead of the usual 4!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Also, how about that "Rainbow Cup" that they have set up?? That looks really exciting!

I'm just a bit concerned that our lads are playing too much rugger and as a result are more injury prone and are burning out earlier...

andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

SA will just have the bottom 5 places instead of the usual 4!!!

You guys aren't that bad :-) :-) :-) The Bulls did well this season.

Whats the Rainbow cup? Is that the one with the South Africans playing up in Europe?
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 07:45 AM UTC
I'll be lookin' forward to downing a few cold tubes and yellin' at the teevy when the Lions get here.
Can't see 'em standing up to much though - damn shame they're not playing Counties, they might win that one.
I'm figuring the Lions'll get a fair run out in the provinces, BoP might surprise 'em if they're as good as last year's NPC team.
I can guarantee that any game they actually win, it'll be down to Johnny Bloody Wlikinson's kicking foot, not any actual skill at rugby or scoring of tries - so it's copntingent on the opposition not to give away penalties inside the 22 (or even on their side of half way...), but the Lions will be composed of experienced players skilled at forcing opposition errors in those positions...
Whatever, it'll be a good tour and there'll be some damn fine rugby played.
But I reckon the All Blacks will take the tests...

acav out
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 07:57 AM UTC
Andy,

As far as I understand the Rainbow Cup will be a competition for the SA provincial teams and the British and Irish county or club teams. I'm not even 100% sure it will still go ahead, as now it seems the deal was once again fraught with someone lining his own pockets instead of looking out for the best interests of the game...

I think the Lions tour will be a great warm up for the All Blacks for the Tri-Nations...

Probuilder
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 193 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:21 PM UTC
I think the Lions can take the Christians even at 2 to 1 :-)
Captain94
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 01:39 PM UTC
So we're not talking about the Detroit Lions?

This post isn't referring to the NFL?

Now I'm confused more than usual

This thread is about soccer, right? :-)

Cheers, Lads!
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 04:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This thread is about soccer, right?

Hi Bob, nope we are talking about New Zealands National Sport ...........RUGBY!!!!!!!!!!

Derek, In New Zealand we don't have a big problem with union pinching league players. But I understand that in England it is a big problem. You do realise Henry Paul is a kiwi? :-) :-)

Acav, You bring up a good point about consistency, If the All Blacks can keep from infringing in their own half they should be safe.

Rudi, I think that would be good for SA rugby giving the players more experience with the Northern way of playing rugby and may help them when it comes to World cup time.
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 1,281 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2005 - 12:50 AM UTC
Hi Guys

Been out of the loop with rugby for a while have the lions squad been picked yet being a taff and former player i was wondering how many taffs have been picked.
I think the Lions will do well...well i hope so.lo lol
Cheers Chris