Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Halftrack
Boiler
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 02:18 PM UTC
I was sitting in my front yard this Sunday reading a book and watching for airplanes going over when I saw something that made me jump up and almost drop my diet Coke. A German halftrack went by on a flat bed trailer and was followed by some other type of German truck also being pulled on a flatbed trailer. I assume there must be some reenactors in the neighborhood. Now I gotta find out where. I tell ya it was pretty weird to see.
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 02:45 PM UTC
Hmm, you can do a search of german reenactor units in your area, they might have some info on the reenactment on their site. If not, just email the leader, hell for sure know where its at. Good luck!
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 12:48 PM UTC
I think I would have stopped breathing if I saw something like that go by my house! I know there are some reenactor units that have halftracks, armored cars, motorbikes etc, so thats probably my guess unless you've got a new armor museum about to pop up in your neck of the woods

Wonder how much those things cost, if they're even genuine halftracks?

interesting
-Shain
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 12:51 PM UTC
Mech-maniac, beleive it or not you can buy a german halftrack for about $20,000. The mg42 that goes on top is about $25,000. lol crazy huh? My units halftrack is a Polish Post WWII halftrack which was converted to look like a sdkfz 251. It looks exactly like one. You think a halftrack will scare you? The ground literally shakes when your in a reenactment with tanks...
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 01:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mech-maniac, beleive it or not you can buy a german halftrack for about $20,000. The mg42 that goes on top is about $25,000. lol crazy huh? My units halftrack is a Polish Post WWII halftrack which was converted to look like a sdkfz 251. It looks exactly like one. You think a halftrack will scare you? The ground literally shakes when your in a reenactment with tanks...

Forgot, you do do the reenacting thing! looks like fun, I wish I had time, the 11th panzer group is in my area, and thats where I'd like to be if I could.

$20k for a halftrack, sounds reasonable but $25k for the MG42?! woah, do they not make cheaper repro ones?Unless the repros. dont fire. Where do they get tanks though? What kind of tanks are down in your area?
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 01:39 PM UTC
Tanks are real and some of them were used in action, but youll usually see them in museums. The tiger tank from Saving Private Ryan is actually made from a T-34 chasis and the whole back part of the hull is mad of ply wood. I got to ride on it a couple times, its huge. They do make dummy MG-42's but they dont fire. You could probobly be able to buy a semi auto MG-42 for around $10,000. There are no tanks in my area, but we have 2 halftracks and a pak 37. There are alot of shermans, tigers, and stugs in California, thats where i see them all.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tanks are real and some of them were used in action, but youll usually see them in museums. The tiger tank from Saving Private Ryan is actually made from a T-34 chasis and the whole back part of the hull is mad of ply wood. I got to ride on it a couple times, its huge. They do make dummy MG-42's but they dont fire. You could probobly be able to buy a semi auto MG-42 for around $10,000. There are no tanks in my area, but we have 2 halftracks and a pak 37. There are alot of shermans, tigers, and stugs in California, thats where i see them all.

Interesting. I knew about the SPR tiger tank, kinda cool way to modify it. I'm guessing there is some special license for owning a tank and an anti tank gun?!!