Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
You found a what ???
zoomie50
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 358 Posts
KitMaker Network: 164 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2005 - 08:51 PM UTC
While serving in Viet Nam with MACV-SOG I was handed a very unusual request which led to a most unusual mission. And the most unique use of my modeling skills I've ever encountered.
I'd just returned from a mission when our Lieutenant asked me about my building models. Told him it was true I had built them back in the World, but just couldn't seem to find the time to here. He then asked if I'd ever built any armor. Told him yes, quite a bit. He smiled, which always worried me, and told me there was a Huey waiting for me. Climbed on board and away we went. Seems a regular Army unit had tumbled on a tunnel complex ; and why was I needed I asked. I was taken to a pit ,a drive in and out pit. And there at the bottom was a tank. The Major in charge asked me if I knew what kind of tank it was. All that came out was
" Ah Huh " . Did I know who made it? Again " Ah Huh'". Well who made it and what it is. Well sir it's German made. Recently ? He asked? No sir not since World War 2. It's a Panther tank sir. A WW2 German Panther tank, sir. At the bottom of the pit sat a fully operational Panther tank, in faded red primer. And yes it was loaded.
No idea how it got there but I got told to forget I ever saw it. " Ah Huh "!!

Jerry
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2005 - 09:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

a fully operational Panther tank, in faded red primer

The fabled Pink Panther!!!
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2005 - 09:40 PM UTC
well i know the french used some post-war, so it may be possible they were the ones who took it there?

they definately took some US and British made WW2 era kit over there, so its possible they took the panther too

regards

joe
zoomie50
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2005 - 09:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The fabled Pink Panther!!!

Jerry
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No idea how it got there but I got told to forget I ever saw it. " Ah Huh "!!

peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 02:04 AM UTC
But now that you've told us about it, don't you have to kill us???

95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 05:38 AM UTC
That's a pretty cool story Jerry!

It makes sense that the French may have used captured Panthers in Vietnam. I believe the Syrians used a considerable amount of German WWII armor during the Arab-Israeli conflicts.

Too bad it was considered classified for some reason and you had photos, that would have made an interesting article for "Military History" or like publication.

Great story!

Steve
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 833 Posts
KitMaker Network: 216 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 06:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

But now that you've told us about it, don't you have to kill us??

My wife read this post to me. Go talk to her.
zoomie50
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 06:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My wife read this post to me. Go talk to her.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

no way

Jerry
zoomie50
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 06:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It makes sense that the French may have used captured Panthers in Vietnam.

That's what I figured . It was classified when I told them that the gun on the Panther had been known to gut Shermans at a respectable distance. They were worried it might give the M-48's a hard time. Can't have the troops worried that their modern armor might be taken out by something from WW2. .

Jerry
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 11:17 AM UTC
thats pretty odd. Wonder how long it had been there and also how it got there, I think it was the French personally.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:03 AM UTC
You should do it as a dio and do a little historical write up to go along with it. As an eyewitness to history type affair.

It would be cool!

One question, do you recall anyone there with a camera? I'll bet that they had someone take photos of it. It would be out of character for the Army not to document something like that. I'd lay money on it that there's some photos of it stuffed away in a box in the archives.

Pretty neat deal
Steve
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:52 AM UTC
So I must ask what happened to it? I am guessing that if you were told to forget about it, then you have no idea, but is there any way to check the National Archives? I am very curious as to wondering if these things were quickly taken out of theater or if they were refurbished and sent into action or handed over ARVN for them to try (something I doubt).

At the same time I am asking this, I am kind of wondering what inclined you to bring this up? If this isn't quite public info, I am wondering if it is still considered classified by DoD. Not that this is a state secret with thousands of lives at risk, but was this recently declassified or what? (note I am not accussing you of anything, but rather, looking out and making sure this is something that we shouldn't be reading just quite yet; the idea of "now that you've told us, do you have to kill us" is but the extreme here).

Either way, thanks for the "/news".

Jeff
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:39 AM UTC
If this remains classified, I would suspect that it is out of some weird sense of national pride (Whose I don't know and which the reasons can be fickled at best) or, it would compromise an individual in some way...though I'm without a clue how.

The policies regarding the declassification of docs make little sense as evidenced by the small handful of Civil War docs that still remain classified. One can only guess as to the reasons why they remain in that status.

I'd still lay odds that a report exists on this and that there are photos as well. It's matter of starting with the Army archives and working your way to the National.

A mystery is afoot!
Steve

I practice good OpSec.....do you?
zoomie50
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The policies regarding the declassification of docs make little sense as evidenced by the small handful of Civil War docs that still remain classified. One can only guess as to the reasons why they remain in that status.

I can't really say if this was clasified or not but like alot of things that happened over there it was kept under wraps.I'm prety sure it would have been blown up in place as we did with most major arms cashes we found. And believe me folks I wouldn't have told this if I thought any of you would get in trouble for hearing it.
I wasn't required to sign any secrecy act papers, just told to forget I'd ever seen it. " Ah Huh! "

Jerry
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:52 AM UTC
I figured as much and was just checking. Wasn't wanting some "black suit" feds hunting us down late at night and shutting down the site (just kidding).

Jeff
generalrazo
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 05:20 PM UTC
Thanks for the story Jerry, that was interesting.

Eddie