_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Resin tips
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 11:38 PM UTC
Tip

Generally, you mix more resin than you need for one copy.

Don't throw that away !!!

I always poor this extra bit (that is lost when you let it get hard), into another mold standing by. For such standby mold I gererally use an original that can be handy for any diorama : ammo boxes, jerrycans, shells, oil drums, etc...
Like this, I gathered an impressive load of ammo, just by using the surplus resin that was mixed for hundreds of different castings. These come in handy to fill the back of a truck, etc...

Jan
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 11:50 PM UTC
Tip

Waste pieces of resin can be used, too. When pooring a large object, you can reduce the "consumption" of fresh resin by using "fillers". I place old or damaged pieces of resin (badly cast, etc) into the mold. Just be careful for two elements :

• make sure these pieces are not too large for the mold. If these pieces stretch your mold in any way, the result can be deformed.
  • sometimes the fresh resin does not adhere to much to the old pieces. This is not a problem when the pieces are well inside the new part you cast, but they can be a nuisense when this happens at the surface of your model. (The surface is not only the top or the bottom of the part, it is the whole inside surface of the mold !)
 _GOTOTOP