Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Looking for a New Job Pitfalls
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 07:20 AM UTC
I have been on the hunt for a new position as a Senior Human Resources Professional. Some of you might remember my tale of woe, when my current employer posted my job on Monster.com and then lied to me about it. Anyway, searching for a new position has its pitfalls too. Here are just some examples:

Recruiters who call you with "The Job of a Lifetime", get you all excited and then never call back! And your calls to them are never returned!

Companies who invite you to interview, knowing that relocation is on the table and then after driving over 100 miles one way, tell you relocation is NOT on the table. Adding insult to injury, these cheap b*stards never even offer to reimburse for 200+ wasted miles. (I did raise the issue and have been ignored)

Interview with a "Senior" HR person who could not ask a question concerning the position that was not her sheet of paper. After addressing her "questions" and demonstrating capabilities to perform the job, I was told there would be up to 5 more interviews before any offer was made! To this one I said no thanks...

Company recruiter whose very first question is "How much are you currently earning" and then blowing you off since it’s more than they want to pay.

Employers relying on the "phone interview" as their primary screening device. This gives you no feedback and often, you never hear from the company ever again.

Head Hunters who you are referred to by a family friend and HAVE NOT DONE A DAMN THING IN 2 MONTHS! And if I don’t call him he NEVER calls me.

And, my number one pet peeve - Companies who do not bother to send any form of a "Thanks, but no Thanks" letters. I guess they feel since they are not offering the position the unsuccessful candidate (ME) does not matter.

Despite these hurdles I am committed (or will be committed) to other employment as soon as the “right” offer comes along.

Thanks for reading my “Venting”.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 09:00 AM UTC
I see you previous position was Senior HR which probably puts you in the highly paid category. Jobs at that level become difficult to find. When my company relocated I had to accept a position with a new company a few rungs below where I was at before. Good Luck!!
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 01:53 PM UTC
I can imagine how you feel, I have been through some job changes in the past myself. Some good, some not so good. Just remember that if you don't keep trying, you'll miss that job that you where looking for ..
What about a change of career? For your job you need skills and talents which you might be able to use in another field?

Good luck with your job hunt.

Cheers
Henk
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 02:11 PM UTC
Keep trying Frank....
The truth is, the higher up the ladder you are, the harder it is to get a job.... many are just fearful of hiring someone who was or is higher qualified than the interviewer is.
Been told over the years --- over qualified, and also under qualified, comes along with the job search.
At least the State of New Jersey does send a notice, thanking you for applying, and gives the reason why you weren't considered. (I get them all the time, since I'm always applying for higher positions---- LOL.... eventually I'll fit into one.... or retire from the state, making models at work).... LOL
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 05:19 PM UTC
I've been out of work three times now due to redundancy, and I agree with most of what's been said so far. I really hate those people that can't be bothered to write and and say 'no thanks' and why - they don't realise what a knock-back it can be to the applicant. Also the number of jobs that I've sat in an interview and thought - "yeh, right, I'm not going to get this job - because I know more than the guy on the other side of this table"
At least when I'm recruiting I make sure that I treat the applicant the way I'd want to be treated myself - they all get a fair hearing and they all get a letter afterwards, even if it' only to say 'thanks for coming in'.
The company I work for was taken over two months ago, and I'm just hoping I'm not gonna be there again - at 49 it won't be so easy to get something else next time, and the manufacturing industry in Britain is on it's last legs so there aren't many purchasing jobs going - especially for a Senior Buyer with 25 years experience!
Good luck with your search Frank .
entire network: 4,303 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 11:44 PM UTC
Frank,
I understand all of your items.
When you get on the wanted position as Senior Human Resources Professional, please remember this situation for the best of your own work!

I'm 'unemployed' myself at the moment, or actually, "between jobs" because I start in september at the police dispatch unit.

I had a HR background, but I really hated those jobs!
Knew this allready during my study, but hey, you seemed to need a paper....
At the moment, I'm recruiting freelance on a no-cure-no-pay base for some bureaus here in The Netherlands. Some of them are really interested and serious for people, others... just want to make big bucks... So far, I have cured, not been payed...
Can't wait till september.

Just keep your head up. There's that job waiting for you! Just don't be depending on those people too much and start an attack on the jobmarket!

And d..m! If you lived here, we could have a good chat because I need HR profs for some compagnies here in the Netherlands!!!!!

Paul
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 11:58 PM UTC
I hate not ever hearing anything back. I personally make it a point that I always let everyone I interview if they get the job or NOT. It's a courtesy thing.

I wish you luck.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2005 - 01:47 AM UTC
My buddy once slipped my resume into his corporate recruited after I got no response from their online submission process. Well I immediately got a call from the recruiter and set up and interview. After that I didn't hear anything for a few weeks. On the very day my buddy told me they hired someone else, I got an email stating that the position had been eliminated and no longer available. Of course having an inside track through my buddy I knew the job was filled rather than eliminated. What a bunch of BS. Of course since they were a big auto supplier and just went bankrupt I'm glad I took a position with another firm that is doing well.