_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Airbrushes
Beginner
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 30 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 07:47 PM UTC
I'm a medium skilled painter, having used brushes and spray cans, and I want to get an airbrush. When buying one, what "/features" should I look for and what specifications should I look for?

What's the best compressed air source? A tank? Thanks.
BigBrother
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 88 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 11:53 PM UTC
Hi
I would look for a double action internal mix airbrush.
They are more expensive, alittle harder to learn on but if you get a good one and practice alittle it will do everything you need it to. Best word of advise is KEEP IT CLEAN..when you think its clean..clean alittle more.
I say this because ive used them at work as a photo retoucher and also get returns at the LHS I work part time at and that has always been the major problem no mater what brand not cleaned.
Aztec, Badger, Pache all have good points. If you need more info or help PM me and Ill be glad to help you more as Im sure others on this great site will too!
Steve
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 12:21 AM UTC
The best air source would be an air compressor with a moisture trap and a regulator, you don't have to spend a lot on these, i paid about $150.00 for the whole setup and it works great.
Beginner
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 30 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 12:54 AM UTC
Well the thing is, I will probably only be using it for one model. I don't know when my next model will be, so do you think it's probably more feasable to use an air can?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 01:25 AM UTC
Well - if you are really only going to use it for one kit, then canned air should be fine. The cans work fine, they just get expensive. The air flow control is a bit harder to control because you typically don't have a pressure meter on the cans.

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 02:00 AM UTC
I would start out with a basic single action AB. I started with an Aztec. Once you get good at thinning paints and the basics of airbrushing, move up to the more finicky dual action internal mix airbrushes.
I tried to start out on a Paasche dual action internal mix and got so frustrated it took me 2 years before I tried airbrushing again. I bought a simple Tetsors (now Aztec) brush which I still use to do base coats and shading.

Just my two cents.

Shaun
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 02:03 AM UTC
Ciao Beginner,
I bought a regular air compressor at WalMart for under $80.00 US. It doesn't have a filter or trap because I paint with acrylics (which are less suceptible to moisture.) It works great for me, and I can put air in my tires or inflate footballs, too.
For an airbrush, I got a double action one on sale for $40.00 US. It doesn't even have a name on it, but it works great. Sometimes, you don't get what you pay for. I wouldn't recommend Aztec, I have one and just don't like the results.
Ciao for now
Rob
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 02:49 AM UTC
Have to agree with Shaun on this one... Go with a simple single action airbrush first.. It will get you used to thinning paints, figuring out different settings on the compressor...Once you have that mastered, move up to a double action..

As far as an air source, I started with canned air and finally picked up a two gallon compressor... Put a moisture trap on it and rigged it for my airburshes... Works slick and for about 130 bucks CAD

Dave
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 12:41 PM UTC
Eventually you'll find that you'll want several air brushes for different applications. Start with the single-action and get a double action when you feel that you need it.
The best air source IS a compressor and tank combination. Make sure the compressor only comes on when the tank is getting low on pressure.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 03:35 AM UTC
With you being a beginner, you should know how well you catch on to things, if your a great learner, and are used to picking things up faster then most, I would suggest a double, but if your average to slower on picking things up, then I would go with a single.

I guess it really isn't a loss, you can always use your first brush for your experimenting after you done moved up to a double action later on, and haft to relearn all over again, changing from a single to a double.

That is what a lot of the others have said that started with the singles and moved up have done, it was almost like relearning how.

Kerry
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 10:40 AM UTC
An airbrush makes a Huge difference to paintwork!

I have an Aztek double action jobbie and I love it. I'm far from being an expert though.
feelpanzer
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
entire network: 122 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 07:49 AM UTC
hello,

a think to look at is never buy a second hand air-brush
because the needle insite could be slitly dammaged.
One small peace dammaged an d it will give you the creeps. Also if you are using airpressorcans for severall minuts they will get icy on the outside of the can, you best put it in water about 50° warm so you can airbrush longer.(When the can is icy the pressor inside get lower!!!!!).

Show us the results!!!!

feelpanzer
 _GOTOTOP