_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
self made vacuum machine
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 04:02 AM UTC
This was kind of a toss up between tools and scratch builders, cause this vacuum machine is a tool, but then you got to build yourself, after you purchase it, you buy the key elements from them, and they give you the plans to put it together.

Now this seemed like this would be a real nice machine for anybody interested in vacuum molding, cause it has the oven, and vacuum all in the same box, and they claim it to be way stronger then any vacuum cleaner.

Their address is
Http://www.build-stuff.com/1001plans.htm#1001%20Specifications%20and%20features

I figured this was good enough to share, cause it was a combined unit, with no more going in between oven to your vacuum machine, and worrying about getting plastic all over your oven, cause with this you can watch it all right in front of you, just flip it over when it's ready.

The only thing, even after the price, you still haft to put it together, but I figured just about everybody here in the scratch part can handle that, they claim about 3 weekends to finish it.
Kerry
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 04:08 AM UTC
Kerry,
For an even cheaper option, check out my article here at Armorama on making your own from household items.

Home-made Vacuum Forming Machine
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 04:12 AM UTC
Thanks Gino.... I knew someone would have a more affordable way.
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 498 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 12:55 PM UTC
I just found my old mattel Vaccuform Machine in a box that has been in storage since 1994 when I transferred to Spain! You just gotta wonder what the heck is being dragged around behind you all these years! The heating element works, but the suction pump is shot. Gotta modify it to take a vacuum hose.
Cheers!
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 09:41 PM UTC
Really what I was thinking was that 60 or 65 dollar heating part you can buy separate, so you can still use your vacuum cleaner cause that is where the price sky rockets is in the vacuum machine.

Now they claim it is way better then any vacuum cleaner on the market, but if everybody has been happy using a vacuum cleaner before, then they should still, the only thing they now can combine everything with that 60 or 65 dollar heating element, and no more going back and forth to the oven.

That seemed well worth the 60 some dollars to get rid of the oven. It's the vacuum machine that brings it up to over 300, just don't buy that part of it. They show separate parts for sale.
Kerry
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 01:53 AM UTC
Gino, man.
That's brilliant! It gives me so many ideas! I have access to a 15"X15" pizza oven that, with some thinking and some clever material gathering, I can make a small vacuum-forming station in my workshop.

Cuhail
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 02:41 AM UTC
I have one of the Mattell vacuform machines that I got about 15 years ago at a flea market for $20. Heating element is good, and the pump was so-so. I removed the pump contraption and attached a small 1 hp shop vac to it. Works like a champ for most stuff although the forming area of it is kind of small. I do have a buddy who has an industrial size model that will take 16"x16" sheets and can help me out when I need larger pieces formed. "Q"
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2005 - 11:14 PM UTC
To what I was thinking was the heating element cause I have a propane stove, and I figured a lot more people here did to, that or natural gas, and they aren't the best for heating plastic.

That pump is where the price goes up, I would just buy the heating element, and build a place to hook up a vacuum cleaner to the other side, cause I already got a couple different shop vacs around here, but I don't have the 300 dollars for the pump, but I could go $60.00 to get rid of my oven, that the thermostat don't work right anyway, and it has that dark glass you can't see anything through anyway.

You can just barely tell you got something in there, let alone tell when it is drooping.
Kerry
 _GOTOTOP