_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
What photoetch bending tool?
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
entire network: 270 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 07:23 PM UTC
Do you guys have some reccomandations on what photoetch bending tool I should buy, and where I should buy it (online) to get the best price?
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 298 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 08:03 PM UTC
Hi Norseman,

To be honoust, it's not that much difference between the PE bending tools. The two leading models are the Etch-Mate and the Hold 'n Fold. They come in different sizes from 4inch to 8inch.
I work with my 4inch Hold 'n Fold for several years now, and I'm very happy with it!
They are quite pricey, but it's a one time buy, 'cos they'll last for the rest of your modelling carreer.

Just browse the net for the lowest price, and you're in business!

Hope this helped, John.
panzer_fan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 12:50 AM UTC
I too own a Hold and Fold. It is great and extremely easy to work with. I paid here in Canada $120 for the whole setup (it comes with three cutting boards, a clear holding tool for the fret, the rolling dowels to make curved parts and two baldes - one short and one long). You can make use of all items in the set, but the most important is the bending tool. I cannot comment on the Etch-Mate since I do not own that one. Hope this helps.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 01:07 AM UTC
i have an etchmate, and am very happy with it.

its very well made, easy to use and well designed. cant comment on the hold-and-fold as ive never seen one.

regards

joe
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 3,040 Posts
KitMaker Network: 251 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 01:34 AM UTC
I have an Etchmate and it may be an investment but it is definately worth the price. I also ordered some large folding blades for the larger pieces of PE, like fenders e.g

I have never used a Hold&Fold but from what I have heard it is a good tool too, similar to the Etchmate.

Now go ahead and buy yourself a folding tool :-)
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
entire network: 270 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 01:37 AM UTC
I certainly will buy one of these. Just wanted to hear some opinions on wich to choose.

I'm sick and tired of messing up my PE sets because I don't have a proper tool to bend those small parts.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 03:22 AM UTC
I have an etch mate and prefer it to the H and F because of the scribed line on the base, just in front of the upper tool head.
This line allows me to slide the blade in and click into place before I lift upwards. It is a small little difference, and I'm sure I could make a H and F work, but this little feature sealed the deal for me.

Mike
smithery
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 06:04 AM UTC
My recommendation is based on the fact that I don't use a lot of PE. As such, I was not willing to spend major money for my bending tool.

I opted for "Mr. Fold-It" from The Armory by Gauntlett. This little guy retails for about $18US. I got mine at Sprue Brothers.

It's not as heavy duty as the EtchMate or the HoldnFold, but it doesn't carry a heavy price tag.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 01:06 PM UTC
Hey there Kevin....

I was looking at the Mr Fold It as well....but didn't know anyone that actually had one to get a feel for it.

Is it any good???

I mean besides the "non-insane" price of it....it can't be that bad.

I see now they have a little bigger one out now, made out of aluminum, for about $33US.
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 05:17 PM UTC
I've got the hold 'n' fold. I ordered directly from the small shop website and got the kit that also comes with the longer reach tool head, cutting boards and the pe rolling tool.

I see they have updated the rolling tool (used for making curved surfaces). It is now a machined metal base and all the rods are metal as well. The version of the rolling tool I have is wooden, with all but the smallest dia rods made from wood dowel.

H n F itself is very well made, with a very good finish.

From what I've seen of the Etchmate, I think you'd be hard pressed to pick between them, and either would most likey suit you fine.
smithery
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 12:20 AM UTC
Hey Scott,

The Mr. Fold It is actually pretty good. It doesn't have as many features as the other more expensive tools, but it suits my needs quite nicely. I haven't used it on any armor subjects yet, but it has been great for working with the detail pieces for 1:32 aircraft. I just use a safety razor blade with the bending tool.

It's not as robust as the aluminum tools, as it is made out of PVC. If you keep this in mind, and don't throw it around too much (why would you anyway?), it is a good option.

I strongly recommend it to the PE beginners, who aren;t sure if they're going to go all out and use lots of it. If you work with a lot of PE, the more expensive tools may be a better option.

Cheers,

Kevin

Quoted Text

Hey there Kevin....

I was looking at the Mr Fold It as well....but didn't know anyone that actually had one to get a feel for it.

Is it any good???

I mean besides the "non-insane" price of it....it can't be that bad.

I see now they have a little bigger one out now, made out of aluminum, for about $33US.

_GOTOTOP