_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Mooooooooovies
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 01:09 PM UTC
Moooooovie thread in general.

*sniff* *cry* I'm such a softy... *sniff* watched "Two Brothers" (I dunno if it was shown here), a movie of two cubs who got separated and reunited years later - as enemies. CRIED LIKE HELL IF YOU ASK ME! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Big cats... great story... great acting (on the part of the tigers)... great editing... makes for one... *sniff* fantastic... *sniff sniff* tear jerker of a film... *sniff* WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

Will be watching Vassal of Hell (er, Kingdom of Heaven hehehe) in a few hours. I'm watching it for the battle scenes, really - and that pretty looking woman, too hahahaha!

Just watched the classic "Sahara" last night. DAMN GREAT! Brings back good memories when I was younger, illiterate, and stupid. (Hell, I'm still illiterate and stupid! hahahaha) Luv that film - although it wasn't really accurate in practically everything. But hey, if it's got an M3 Lee and Bogart, what could go wrong? Great film!

All that snuck between the Motion to Quash Search Warrant and Petition for Certiorari under Rule 65 that we're made to write for school hehehehe
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 275 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 01:31 PM UTC
I'm waiting for Star Wars, Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith.

...and the movie series Final Destination, Final Destination Two, Final Destination Finally, The Ultimate, Final Destination, etc. (Boy, isn't the title "Final Destination" redundant?)

By the way, just a thought: What would be the title of a sequel to Jet Li's Movie "The One?"

Would it be "The One Two" or "The Next One?"

Angela
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 01:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

..and the movie series Final Destination, Final Destination Two, Final Destination Finally, The Ultimate, Final Destination, etc. (Boy, isn't the title "Final Destination" redundant?)

They probably got their AB-Filmography in The Institute of Redundancy Institute...
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 01:42 PM UTC
Yeah. Actually, that was a running joke in the office.

In another aspect, have you every shopped for pirated DVDs and VCDs on the street or hawker stalls? Some "pirated" movies have eye-opening prelude or sequel title.

I was quite amused when I saw "The Matrix 4" and "Titanic 2." :-)

Angela
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 01:54 PM UTC
"TITANIC 2 - SHE SINKS... AGAIN!" :-)

Hell, one pirated (er, "originally pirated" as my cousin would say hehehe) DVD even had a negative review of the film printed on the case: "A complete waste of talent..." says the mini-review. HAHAHAHA!
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 02:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hell, one pirated (er, "originally pirated" as my cousin would say hehehe) DVD even had a negative review of the film printed on the case: "A complete waste of talent..." says the mini-review. HAHAHAHA!

That is really funny. Ahihihihi...... :-) :-) :-)
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 04:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm waiting for Star Wars, Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith.

...and the movie series Final Destination, Final Destination Two, Final Destination Finally, The Ultimate, Final Destination, etc. (Boy, isn't the title "Final Destination" redundant?)

By the way, just a thought: What would be the title of a sequel to Jet Li's Movie "The One?"

Would it be "The One Two" or "The Next One?"

Angela

The Two. :-)
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 10:17 PM UTC
Watched Kingdom of Heaven yesterday. To think, I've been waiting earnestly for a Crusader film, and to think that I was gearing myself for great battle scenes seeing the damn good trailer and website and the fact that it was Ridley Scott directing... 10 out of 10 from me, you think?

HELL NO!

5 out of 10, more like it!

First, they picked the wrong actor for Balian (sp?). Legolas is too much of a pretty boy (understandable if he was in Pirates of the Caribean, considering the Royal Navy's penchant for buggery ), not manly-enough to lead a group of battle-weary soldiers away from their wifeys in Europe (but close to their wifeys in Outremer hehehe). They should've picked someone more gruff.

Second, the battle scenes are lousy. Gladiator KOH was not! The battle reminds me of the King Arthur movie recently shown (last year?) - which means confusing, with lots of shaking of camera, no coherent look, just plain chaos. Ok, battle - particularly in that era - is chaos, but Peter Jackson did a good job depicting organized chaos and controlled anarchy in RotK. How can you feel the drama and horror of war with a camera that keeps on shaking around?

Third, slow motion. Too much of it. I hate slow motion when used in battles. Several instances in the movie where slow motion was used. Stupid really. Doesn't add drama at all (which slow motion is supposed to convey).

Fourth, stupid, lame, uninspiring battle speeches. Who was the script writer? Seize him and have him hanged, drawn and quartered for boring the troops (and the audience). And I found it particularly corny when Balian did the mass-knighting thingy. "Arise, a Knight!" Wow. How inspiring. NOT! Honestly, after one speech, there was this long silent moment in the film which I promptly filled by saying the whole speech of Aragorn before the Black Gate of Mordor (yep! I'm not kidding! I memorize and said the entire "Soldiers of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes..." speech)

Fifth, seige of Jerusalem oddly looked like Helm's Deep, the breach reminded me of the breach of the Deeping Wall.

Sixth, too preachy.

Seventh, (and one which a lot of reviews out there say) lacks character development.

Eighth, no inspiring music - not inspiring enough to make me go to some record shop and get the soundtrack. Not a single piece at all that would make me search for an MP3 of it on the net. None at all.

Ninth, (most grevious sin of all) THEY DENIED ME THE SLAUGHTER THAT WAS HATTIN! Hell, they just showed (counts fingers), one melee, two skirmishes, and one siege. Compare that to Braveheart which had two full-blown battles and one siege, and RotK which had three battles, two sieges, and several skirmishes. One would think, "Hey, Riddley Scott, Hattin - great battle scene." But noooooooooOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOooooooooo! They just showed the aftermath of Hattin. Boring.

So, overall, just 5 out of 10 IMO.

Plus was Eva Green's lovely eyes (damn they were lovely!). Actually, she had the look of a "forbidden fruit" hehehe

Another plus was that the movie didn't feel too long. If it was, say, three hours or so, and if they still left out Hattin in that three hours or so, it would've been dragging.

However, I must be fair. They say an hour's worth of film was cut out to make the movie shorter, more "viewable" and greater revenue (shorter movie, more screening times in the day, more people watching per day, greater chance of making the first week very profitable). Perhaps that one hour would've immeasurably improved the film. Or (as Bull and I surmised yesterday), perhaps that one hour was the long exotic love scene between Sybilla and Balian (mmmmmmmmmmm.... Sybilla, finest of wives hehehe).

Still, at least it was better than Troy (and, I surmise, Alexander, which I didn't watch).

Now, if someone can do a decent film on the Fall of Constantinople, or the Siege of Malta, I'd look forward to seeing that.

KoH being a disappointment, still, I'd love to see more Middle Ages films. WW2 is getting tiresome. WW1 would be more interesting than WW2 IMO.

EDITED FOR STUPID SPELLING
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 07:27 PM UTC
Just watched kingdom of Heaven. It sort of confirmed the stuff I learned during my research on the Crusades (part of preparing for my history class lectures):

1. Even though Pope Urban II called it a sort of a holy war, the crusaders who participated had other agendas which is anything but holy.

2. The Crusaders was meant to unify all the European states under the church after all that fighting that raged in Europe (the Dark Ages) but it hardly changed when they landed in the Holy Land.

3. Some, if not a lot of Crusaders were kinda disappointed they didn't get to kick Infidel butt as they were promised (because they said killing a Muslim is a ticket to heaven) so some created some havoc (makes you wonder why the Crusaders can't hold the Holy Land for long, and why there had to be successive crusades).

4. I was kinda disappointed they did not show the battle of Hattin (just the outcome). But it showed that Saladin is a paradoxial character, he offers no quarter in fighting; makes people fear him (the lopped heads) and on the other hand, a man who can extend compassion and magnanimity.
 _GOTOTOP