Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
usa number plates
kursk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 214 Posts
KitMaker Network: 110 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 01:00 AM UTC
hi guys,hoping someone from the usa can hlp me. going to new york in november and have being asked to get a set of ,number plates for a car. its for a great mate of mine and reallywanna get these. the point is are they easy to buy in n/y?????. where would i find them??
cheers guys
kursk
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 01:09 AM UTC
Hmmm, live/new ones will be hard because you need a car to register to get them.
You can easily find them at a salvage/junk yard or an antique shop or someplace like that.

As I was typing I realized you may be able to get a set of 'unofficial' vanity plates at the DMV. If you do venture to the DMV (Dept of Motor Vehichles) be prepared to wait in realllly looooooong lines.
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 01:14 AM UTC
David,

If you are referring to Lincense Plates, then you won't be able to get them at all. They can only be obtained for a car if you are a registered driver within that state. In Tennessee, older plates (decades old) can be easily obtained in Antique Malls & Flea Markets for next to nothing. You might be able to obtain one in that way provided you are visiting a more rural part of New York.
kursk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 01:28 AM UTC
ive seen them on cars over here ,i don,t think there real plates just summat for the tourist. the ones i want will have the stature of liberty in one one corner
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 01:36 AM UTC
are you moving to NY? or doing a long term visit? I've never seen any type of privisional license/number plates maybe this will help you out though:

Department of Motor Vehicles: New York
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 01:54 AM UTC
Ciao David,
Getting New York License plates (tags, they're called) are impossible through the DMV unless you have a vehicle to register and a legitimate address to register them to. As everyone else has suggested, you should go to either a flea market, or better yet, a junk yard in New Jersey. Probably they would not have to turn in any out-of-states tags on the wrecked vehicles, and the variety would be pretty good. Good Luck and enjoy your visit.
Ciao for now
Rob
kursk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 01:58 AM UTC
hmmmseen what i want its a custom pcture plate going to be hard getting one. thought you could buy one in a shop. thanks guys
kursk
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 02:20 AM UTC
Try one of those toursit trap type shops that sell tourist stuff....
or you can do what the natives do, whenever they need a new set of plates...... But you'll have to bring your own screwdriver.If you are lucky enough to get to travel along the "Cross Bronx", you'll be able to find an assortment of "missing in action cars"... if you need any parts, but unfortunately the plates will have disappeared way before you got there. (I could tell you a story about a disgunted employee, and what he di with a company truck... and no it wasn't me....)
Of course, in the right neighborhood, here by refer to as "the hood" the locals would be happy to get you all the plates you need for a small fee. These locals can usually be found at the local watering hole. Of course you may have a problem explaining the plates passing through customs..... :-) :-) :-)
PM me, I'll give you my phone number, and if you get a day free, I'd be happy to give you the tour of northern NJ hobby shops...... (If I can find missing Pvt Parts, I'll drag him along also) at last count there are no real hobby shops left in the big apple.
kursk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 03:28 AM UTC
great idea love meet the guys in new york now how do i get a day to myself????