Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
To be flattered or annoyed ...
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 08:00 AM UTC
Just found one of my pictures on somebodys webalbum...

Now, should I be annoyed or...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/bigtank/?action=view¤t=2979T34-12.jpg
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 08:05 AM UTC
Ciao MrMox,
I don't know, but the model look really good!! Is that the 1/16th Trumpeter?
Ciao for now
Rob
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 08:12 AM UTC
Hmm, do you even know this guy? Because if not, thats fraud, hes claiming your model as his... I would personally go to the doorstop of this guy with a baseball bat and beat the crap out of this guy, but then again thats me.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 08:33 AM UTC
Well they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! No ones ever claimed one of mine as theirs, I wonder why? Is the guy a jerk, as in is he really pretending it's his, or did he just like this brilliant model so much he thought other people should share in it? Go for the latter - it's less stressful!
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 08:35 AM UTC
I know I'd be more than annoyed. If he built and finished the same model exactly as you did, that would be imitation, which is actually a compliment. But taking credit for someone else's efforts is just plain low class. Photobucket has a "Contact Member" option. I'd send "Bigtank" a TD round that would set him straight, and then let Photobucket know what's going on. Whatever you decide, keep us posted.

Art
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 09:41 AM UTC
If the picture he took from your webpage has a copyright notice on it, and he took the picture, then he can be held accountable for copyright infringement.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 12:17 PM UTC
Too bad I don't speak Polish. I didn't see anywhere that he was passing it off as his. Perhaps your photo was meant to show what the finished stock kit looks like. The immediate previous photos show 1:1 track, and the follow on photos show his tracks, which he apparently cast from his own molds. His weathering technique for his track is quite stuning. Most of the other pictures show some amazing scratchbuilding, including some very convincing welds apparently made by squeezing epoxy from a syringe. Honestly, you should be flattered. Unless he had access to your workshop, your molds, and your scratchbuilds, plus a few photos of you holding up your work, I'd say he could hold his own without stealing someone else's work.
But then, that's just me.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 12:36 PM UTC
Howdy MrMox,

Is this gent just simply saving your pic? Maybe he's just so impressed with your excellent work that he wanted to simply 'store' the pic for reference?........to be perfectly honest with you, I do that ALL the time. I probably have half a Gazillion images stored away for reference purposes........so, if that' what he's doin'......be humbled.

Now, on the other hand, if he's doing something else with the pic.......then I would suggest further consideration.

Tread.

Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 01:11 PM UTC
Just my opinion...

One Did you take the photograph which is posted on the web? If so, you are the copyright holder, and nobody can reproduce that photograph without your permission. Period.

Two Did he credit you or the site he got the photograph from? If you use a photograph for illustration only, you (he) should..

Three Is he claiming this as his work? Is it clear that it's not his work? Again a copyright and ownership infringment if not.

I would get in touch with him, it probably is a case of 'wow, I like that' and he just has not given you the credit for it. But chase him, because he should...
You may post it on the internet, but it's still your property.

Cheers
Henk
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is this gent just simply saving your pic? Maybe he's just so impressed with your excellent work that he wanted to simply 'store' the pic for reference?........to be perfectly honest with you, I do that ALL the time. I probably have half a Gazillion images stored away for reference purposes........so, if that' what he's doin'......be humbled.

We all do, but not on our public websites. well, I don't. Displaying a copyrighted image without the owners permission or at least a credit is wrong, and indeed a crime ( stop me now )
I don't want to get all high and mighty, but your pictures are your property, and somebody taking your picture without your permission or knowledge is more or less the same as somebody taking your car or stereo without you permission. It's called theft.

They used to hang people for stealing a horse. I like that.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 04:33 PM UTC
To add another point to Henk's spot-on analysis, if this fella/organisation is using this image to generate an income, you're entitled to your fair share...

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 07:56 PM UTC
Well, the guy has posted some of his own (very fine) work here on Armorama, I think ill send him a mail - but i have the impression that his english is quite bad.

One of my collegues is from Poland - so....

:-)

Text in mail to big tank:

Hi Bigtank,

As much as I enjoy the quality of your models, it does annoy me,that you have chosen to copy one of my photos (on wich I hold copyright)on Armorama,and display it on your site without my knowlege and consent.

The photo in queation is this: http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/bigtank/?action=view¤t=2979T34-12.jpg

Please remove it from your site imitiatly.

Cheers

Jan
Stug3
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Dolnoslaskie, Poland
entire network: 11 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 10:22 AM UTC
I greet all .....
It stood itself very bad , that accidentally placed picture called out such discussion .. I Have one's models and I do not need another person 's to boast..Picture was for placed this in Photobucket , to to show colleagues from Poland how made model T34 in scale 1:16 and anything looks more . it does not have Picture already , it became removed , Colleague became apologized , so I am careful matter behind closed ... If someone wants to show pictures of my models - it does not have problem ...I'm sorry behind my very bad English ...
Andy from Poland
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 04:58 PM UTC
Andy, no need to get to upset.
The problem is not restricted to this case, but touches on an'internet' problem.
If you take/make a picture, you are the owner of that picture. Period. If you share that picture on the net, you are doing just that, sharing. As in showing an 'old' style album. You are NOT giving away your picture to any body to do what they like. That is not what the net is all about. If you think that any picture on the net is free to do with aS YOU LIKE, YOU'RE WRONG. As with all things in life, time will regulate, and if misuse goes on, those people who are now providing the pictures in good faith, will stop, and where will you go then?

Whilst appologising for going on and on, I won't appologize for standing up for basic copyright.

Afterall, you wouldn't like it if somebody took the content ( and years of hard work )of our site and used for a site which they pretended was theirs..

As always, ready...
Henk
Stug3
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Dolnoslaskie, Poland
entire network: 11 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 06:56 PM UTC
Hello Hank ..
Obviously that I understand problem , is and what do I know in what this author rights are ....After I did not know prostu that it is this as much as such problem and so many . I ask - this link is to side on which without my permissions , colleague he put pictures of my model .. SiG 33 in scale 1:15 ...Obviously without question about permission ... I do not make from this of problem - what , who did even though he not write and where... And let there ...Pretty shopwindow , so let him bedzie bless you .....It hurts me tylko this that almost I became named thief ...... ...
I'm sorry bad English ...- Andy
my SiG 33-

https://www.geocities.com/bigtank120/

Link to lent pictures-

http://wilk.wpk.p.lodz.pl/~whatfor/sturminf_33b.htm
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 03:39 AM UTC
I have mailed with Andy - I“m happy - I hope he is happy :-)

So ... lets all be happy

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hey Tom

No need, Andy is a nice fellow, so ... we are happy!