_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
Saving images?
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 07:03 AM UTC
When reading a story with images and I click an image to enlarge it, I can't save it. When I right click I get the message (Function disabled). Have you guys disabled this function or is this a problem with my browser?

If it's a full size pic with the story text then I can save it. But whenever it's a pic that is enlarged in a separate window with the close button below it, then I can't save it. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 07:19 AM UTC
It is not your browser or you. This is due to a change made awhile back by Staff_Jim, for the purposes of "copyright" protection.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 07:36 AM UTC
Thanks for your promt reply, Chuck. But why not do like other sites that have the name of the site imprinted on the pics so they can't be used for anything other than personal collections and references? Oh well.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 08:06 AM UTC
Hisham,
It was a request by one of our advertisers and vendor/publishers to add this feature. Images in the regular gallery are not affected.

Sorry,
Jim
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 02:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But why not do like other sites that have the name of the site imprinted on the pics so they can't be used for anything other than personal collections and references?

Personally, I prefer to look at a picture without a watermark covering the details.. .
Saving pictures (i.e. obtaining them) from the net is a two edged sword. As a photographer (or modeler..) I want as many people as possible to see and enjoy my work. BUT, it's still my work. In the old days (remember those :-) ) you showed people your pictures in an album and then put it back in YOUR cupboard. They took away an image in their mind. Not the actual photo... Making a photocopy from an image in a (paper ) book is illegal, for copyright reasons. Why should the net be different? Copy right breaches on the net are now so prolific, it might have a reverse effect. If major companies stop making their property available on the net for 'browsing', where are we going then?. Back to the liberary..

Sorry to rant on, just one of those things that get me going... :-)

Cheers
Henk
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 04:49 PM UTC
Henk... In a general sense, I would agree with you about wanting personal pics to remain personal and not have evryone take a copy of them. But I'm talking about articles that show in progress pics along with a description of various methods used, say... to do a wash. It's imoprtant to have the pics to look at when you're trying out that technique. Or an article like the one about building a dio from scratch. I suppose it is a double edged sword type of thing. But it would be like buying a magazine with the pics in it. I wouldn't mind if you guys compiled some CD's for sale with all the articles there are aound here. Anyway, I hope I'm not offending anyone when I save pics of their work.
dukw
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 263 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 05:34 PM UTC
Hello Hisham,
I agree with you. But that are the rules. One workable way to get those pics is to contact the publisher by mail or private message and ask for the pics. I guess the most will share them.
Greetings
Harald
 _GOTOTOP