_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Opening a Hobby (Model) Shop
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 07:57 AM UTC
I've been modeling for over 30 years and working for the "man" for over 20. I have the opportunity to shed the working for someone else coil and be my own boss.

I would like to open a hobby shop (with internet site). Location - North Orange County, CA.

My concern is after viewing this web site and surfing the net how does one get going in a business like this with all the competition???

Would you recommend a franchise or stand alone???

Any suggestions would be welcomed, encouragement would be appreciated.
CRS
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 08:08 AM UTC
Frank - Visit the Mlitary Hobbies shop on Taft Rd. in Orange/Tustin and Brookhurst Hobbies on Brookhurst in Garden Grove, if you've not been there already. They're your competition 'round here as far as I'm concerned. Neither meet all the needs of a true Armorama-ite in my mind.

GOOD LUCK
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 08:40 AM UTC
I'd have to second Chuck, at least as far as Brookhurst Hobbies. It's been there since the late sixties, I shopped there when I was first in the hobby way back then. They have to be doing something right to last that long. I'd check out what they carry, and most importantly what they don't carry, and see if you can provide a niche market. PE sets, after market upgrades, that kind of thing. Check out their website and see if you can do better. You've got to be able to offer something that is better than the competition. Either price, selection, service, etc. The problem with wanting to provide great service is people won't give you a chance to prove it unless you can also give them great prices or selection. Once you've got them "in the door" so to speak, then you can show them what great service you provide, and get them to come back, and more importantly tell their friends.

Good luck with this.

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 6,705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,084 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 10:08 AM UTC
Greetings, Frank!
My suggestion, sir, is go for it!! I am also in the same boat as you, and I already have a small but good selection of kits that I provide to local Hobby stores and the occasional on-line sale...problem is, exposure...you have to get your name out there, and provide something that other's don't...that's what I'm trying to achieve with my website(www.axisalliesandarmor.com), and am slowly building a namesake...takes time, but if I were you, if you have the desire and energy to open up your own shop,, then by all means get to it...if you have any questions that I may be able to help you with, give me a pm or e-mail...I'll try to answer your questions, sir...
Gunny
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,745 Posts
KitMaker Network: 221 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 02:15 AM UTC
Don't be afraid to branch out either...one of my local shops was hurting in a badway till he started bringing in Warhammer stuff and letting the kids play it down in his basement...now the place is nuts on Saturday mornings with all the kids in there who get their parents to dump money on new stuff for them.
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 02:25 AM UTC
Hey CRS, I visited Brookhurst hobby shop when I was down there, like you said, i never wanted to leave. I ended up staying there for like 4 hours because my dad was doing research for WWI and there just happend to be a WWI reenactor and historian there. So I had a ball. They got a lot of stuff there, ALOT.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 02:36 AM UTC
I would also suggest going out to meet the local modelers at their AMPS or IPMS club meetings. Ask them what they are looking for in a local store. They will know all the other stores in a hundred mile radius. You'll also be able to get a good feel of the population of model builders in your area.

Go to the local shows and see if the show location will draw in even more visitors to your store. If a show is in the same city or nearby, be prepared to offer show discounts to visiting modelers. Get flyers printed out with directions to your store from the show. Have them available at the show at a table with a pop up sign. Just placing flyers on the table won't make them be seen by potential customers.

Remember the three rules, location, location, location. Be easy to get to, easy to get in and out of, etc.
Probuilder
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 193 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 03:21 AM UTC
If your backround is in retail sales then go for it!! If not Hold off a bit and take a course at community college in sime if the business courses and maybe get some info from the SBA(Small Business Administration).

Most 1st time small businesses fail due to inexperienced business managment.

Best of luck in it
BigBrother
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 88 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 04:15 AM UTC
For what its worth I've worked part time at the LHS in my area for 7yrs now, and Ive learned somthing...we as modelers are not objective enough. Each one of has his or her LOVE and that can cloud your judgement.
The owner of this hobby shop is by no means a modeler, he is a money man. We discount everything in the store about 20% or more. But we stock no resin and no decals, his philosophy is to be the walmart of hobby shops and carry kits cheap. We have tried to carry resin and PE but cant sell enough and there's always some left over forever.
We also tried taking names and numbers for spec. kits.
Trumpeter Hinds come to mind, we had 8 people say when they came in they would take one, we got them in the same time as every one else I orderd 12 to have 4 left over, I've got 8 and sold 4. Yes we are close to internet prices, and we let you open them and look. But on my recomendation we are stuck with money tied up in inventory. Working for one is Great but I WOULD NEVER OWN ONE
GSPatton
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 11:16 AM UTC
Thank you one and all for the suggestions. I will take each in turn and make the final decision after much homework. I am well aware of the failure rate for new businesses. My intention is to suceed and going slowly right now I think is the best course of action.
 _GOTOTOP