_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Clear Acrylic rod stock??
GungHo
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 48 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 11:08 AM UTC
Good evening guys. I'm working on a small project and am in need of some clear acrylic rod stock in roughly 0.128 diameter

Does anyone know of a site online that might sell this kind of material?? I should be able to dye this type of material,correct???

PLEASE post if you have any knowledge on this subject. THANKS, Brian
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 01:14 PM UTC
Brian,
"Roughly .128 inches in diameter." That's pretty funny, because you said "roughly" and specified the diameter to three decimal places.
Anyway, McMaster-Carr sells what you need but it will be 3 thou under size @ .125 inches, or 1/8th inch.

I don't think you stand a chance dying acrylic rod. You could however, paint it with any number of clear paints.

I don't have any idea if McMaster Carr sells direct or not or what you are planning on using this stuff for. We have a corporate account with them where I work and I could order what you need and forward it to you at cost.

Check out the link below and PM me ASAP as I will be offline for a while.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Shaun
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 02:37 PM UTC
Brian- The rod in acrylic is an extruded profile product as a cast equivilant is not available.It carries the diameter disclaimer of +/- 10%.Yes,it can indeed be dyed as with any acrylic material.The dye can be bought from commercial plastics distributers(phone book) or you might be able to make it with RIT dye(fabric)available from a supermarket usually.You will also need acetone and denatured alcohol.Basically,the longer you leave the part in the dye,the deeper the tint.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 02:59 PM UTC
Plastruct has some... in various diameters
GungHo
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 48 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 03:58 PM UTC
Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to respond.

I found this earlier:

http://k-mac-plastics.com/plastic-rod/acrylic-rods.htm

Thye sell the extruded acrylic rods in clear...as well as a few colors......and in 1/8 of an inch....

I am researching the cost and materials needed for producing some custom Lego Star Wars mini figure lightsabers......in colors other than what Lego has produced already.

I am planning to use Rit Dye to color these.......I've dyed plastics using Rit previously.....so I'm pretty sure this would work.

THANKS for the help guys, Brian
 _GOTOTOP