_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Still cant seem to get close ups
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 1,281 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 07:54 AM UTC
Hi all

I have a kodak 4mpdx7440 4xoptical i use the macro gone through the settings but still cant to be able to get as close as i feel i should or should i be getting the pic up bigger on the pc then post them.
It seems mad i was able to get closer and better detail with a much less pixel cam and and not such a good lenze, deppressed and fed upin delaware and i have boughrt a tripod
Cheers Chris
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 08:11 AM UTC
A tripod, Macro lens setting, and self timer, have improved my close ups. Read your manual .... it should tell you to range of your close up lens. Too close or too far, you will be out of focus, no matter what you do.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 08:18 AM UTC
More pixels does not translate to sharper close up pictures. This is a trick you may want to try. Stand farther back from the model and maximum zoom onto the model. You can trick your camera into thinking it's taking a far way shot.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 08:56 AM UTC
Thanks Alan, that's something to try next time.
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 09:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a kodak 4mpdx7440 4xoptical i use the macro gone through the settings but still cant to be able to get as close as i feel i should or should i be getting the pic up bigger on the pc then post them.
It seems mad i was able to get closer and better detail with a much less pixel cam and and not such a good lenze, deppressed and fed upin delaware and i have boughrt a tripod

Chris, the 7440 includes a strange Macro feature. When you initiate macro mode, you should be able to focus to about 10cm from the model.
Just remember that in macro mode, you are automatically set to wide angle on the lens.
To use the zoom, you have to sacrifice focal distance i.e. move further away from the model. As you move away, you should get ‘closer’ (zoom that is) to the model. Also remember that you can use the X4 digital zoom as well.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 12:29 PM UTC
Few other ideas.
Check if you have a spot meter function, this will tell the camera to focus and read the light on a central portion of the image. You may have a detente position on you shutter which will lock the focus and setting on the center.
In any case, use a back drop with little or no detail. Keep clutter out of you picture. A lot of stuff may confuse the auto focus feature.
Third, make sure you have adequate light so the shutter speed is maximized.
Finally, see if you can override the auto focus.

This is the setup I use for just about all the model pictures in my gallery.

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 01:33 PM UTC
I had that same desk with corner piece and printer stand in college!!!
 _GOTOTOP