_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kaki Model Malaysia
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
photo testing?
masterqq
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
entire network: 101 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 03:38 PM UTC

Can you see it?
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 03:58 PM UTC
Works fine Thomas. Nice work on the fig. Its a bit glossy but I suppose its the camera flash. Good job on customizing the figure with straps. Is this the DML Nam Seal figure?
masterqq
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 05:05 PM UTC
Thanks CK, yes it's not so glossy in real, I think is the camera or something, But come to think of it, this guy just craw come out from the water, so the baju have to be wet lah...

and these are DML nam seal, ans was painted some years back, and it's very dusty now.

Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 447 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 01:21 PM UTC
Anymore....?
masterqq
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 02:48 PM UTC
a couple more

The pistol is a bit senget now, gotta refit it some day..
Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 04:52 PM UTC
I am not a dio builder but interested in starting one. What did you use for water?

I have plans to start a NAM dio with Americans invading a SA-2 Guideline site. The SA-2 missile is done, waiting for the base setup and US Marines.
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 05:37 PM UTC
Might be able to help you with the water Argrillion. It maybe a bit tedious but for me its CHEAP and utilizes readily availabe LOCAL materials.

There's 2 ways to go. One is the use of several layers of high quality glossy wood varnish (Seamaster) tinted with paint and topped off with polyurethane glue (Selleys). I found this okay for slow moving water. Suprisingly the gloss varnish can be made to carry acrylic paint by stirring it. Apply each coat starting with a darkest tint of river color your'e using. Paint successive coats with a progressive lighter tint. Be careful not to add to much paint in one go. One drop paint is more than enough for a quarter capful of varnish.

I usually end up with 8-10 layers depending on how patient I am. Paint each coat only after the previous one is dry (usually takes about 1 day to dry). The more coats the better as it gives the illusion of depth. The last 2 coats should just be varnish alone. I top off with polyurethane glue because I wanted to make a bit of waves to simulate moving water.

The other method if you want to do still water is just have only the varnish minus the last layer of glue. I used this to represent a padi field.

The last pic is my first attempt at simulating water. It comprised entirely of several layers 2 different types of glue, polyurethane and super glue.

masterqq
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 06:48 PM UTC
I used 2 part epoxy for the water, which is hard to work with, and hard to make wave too.

I will try CK's method next time.

CK,
Can we have more photos on the SBS kayak dio...
Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 07:35 PM UTC
Thanks CK for the info. Will drop by the hardware store soon to begin my experiment.

Quoted Text

There's 2 ways to go. One is the use of several layers of high quality glossy wood varnish (Seamaster) tinted with paint and topped off with polyurethane glue (Selleys). I found this okay for slow moving water. Suprisingly the gloss varnish can be made to carry acrylic paint by stirring it. Apply each coat starting with a darkest tint of river color your'e using. Paint successive coats with a progressive lighter tint. Be careful not to add to much paint in one go. One drop paint is more than enough for a quarter capful of varnish.

beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 08:23 PM UTC
Gentlemen I would recommend just the varnish alone if its still water and varnish topped off with polyurethane glue for moving water. The polyurethane used to create the "waves".

Thomas, the SBS kayak dio was my 2nd. dio. The water making method was too tedious although it was a good learning experience. Unfortunately the photos I have were poorly taken plus my computer had to be reformatted so the only photos are the ones I still have in my gallery.

Here's 2 out of the 3 surviving pics:

This one was taken while it was in progress.

Argrillion let me know if you need any help on the water making thingy.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 08:37 PM UTC
Thomas, excellent choice.. the first pic looks like Tom Selleck.. hehe

Beachbum , wow.... the kayak dio looks like real in the photo shot... u 're still da master

pls take me as your student master jedi-bum
masterqq
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 10:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

the first pic looks like Tom Selleck

HaHa.. must be the misai... :-)
 _GOTOTOP