Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
How did this term develop?
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 01:46 AM UTC
I hear people say when someone fails at something they got "Deep 6'd". I assume it has to be some nautical term about getting sunk. Anyone have any idea?
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 01:53 AM UTC
I've always assumed that it meant ..buried. The depth of a typical grave is..6 feet. But as you said, it could be a nautical term and refer to six fathoms...36 feet.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 02:35 AM UTC
I believe it comes from the sounding rope that sailors used to find water depth. When they got close to shore, or to a shoal of some kind, they would toss out a rope with a weighted end. The rope would have various pieces of cloth or such tied to it to mark the depths. One of those marks was termed Deep Six. If somebody was buried at sea they might be thought of as being in the Deep Six.

Another similar term was Mark Twain, that Samuel Clemens chose as his nom de plume.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 04:07 AM UTC
Here is an other vote for natuical measurement

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/8/messages/1312.html

here is a quote from another web site

"While "six feet under" meaning "dead and buried" (from the standard grave depth of six feet) might seem the source of "deep six," it actually began as a nautical term. In the days before sonar, soundings of the water's depth were taken by the "leadman" with a weighted line marked in fathoms (a unit equaling six feet). A leadman's cry of "six deep" or "by the deep six" meant six fathoms (36 feet), or quite a bit of water, beneath the keel. Since something jettisoned into six fathoms of water was unlikely to ever be seen again, by the early 20th century "deep six" had come to mean "to get rid of" something, especially by putting it where it could never be found."