_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Airfix quality
Kaboom
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 69 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 02:50 PM UTC
Model Expo is having a sale on Airfix kits. I did a site search here and have come to these conclusions on their aircraft kits:

a. airfix 1/72 sucks
b. 1/48 is hit and miss
c. overall Airfix kits are below average in quality.

Since these kits are on sale I was thinking about taking a chance on a few 1/48 and 1/24
WWII aircraft. I'm not looking for perfect accuracy just a decent fit and not too many problems. Any suggestions?

Mark
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 05:06 PM UTC
The larger (1/24) scale aircraft are fairly old (20+) and some have been slightly retooled to newer variants (Harrier comes to mind). Their 1/48 scale Sea Harrier is very nice as is their late Spitfire (XXI?) and Sea Fire. Remember, a lot of Airfix kits are from the 60s. Their 1/32 scale multipose figures and M3 Grant and Lee are nice kits too. I know their 1/72 scale E-Boat, Vosper PT boat and RAF Rescue Boat are also nice kits.

Some Airfix kits are reboxed Heller kits just as some Heller kits are reboxed Airfix.
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 06:01 PM UTC
It all depends on how much time and effort you want to put in on an Airfix plane. If you look over the listings, you'll see that even today, some of the kits that Airfix put out way-back-when are still the only or among the only ones made of some aircraft. A couple cases in point---who else has a 1/72 Handley Page Hampden or a Fairey Battle?
 _GOTOTOP