_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
painting order...
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,189 Posts
KitMaker Network: 343 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 12:23 PM UTC
I sprayed my King Tiger a Dark Green Model Masters (enamel) base coat. I then went and bought 2 cans of Tamiya Dark Yellow and Red Brown. Basically what I need to know...are the Tamiya sprays lacquer? And if so, can I paint that over enamel? I think I know the answer to this (no) but I want to be sure ...in the mean time I'm going to do a test to see what the effects are...but if anyone answers this before that I would appreciate it...
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 01:30 PM UTC
I would be real careful doing that. Make sure the enamel is well cured, and only add light coats of the laquer. (Is tamyia paint not acrylics? Never used the spray cans so I dont know for sure.)
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 01:34 PM UTC
I have a couple of cans that I am looking at right now - they really don't say. I would "assume" that they are of an acrylic based substance much like their paint that comes in jars... if you got any of that Testors left I would spray some on something else and then try the Tamiya on it.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 01:35 PM UTC
Tamiya paint is acrylic, not lacquer. If you let the Enamel dry for at least 48 hours, you'll be fine.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,189 Posts
KitMaker Network: 343 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 02:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya paint is acrylic, not lacquer. If you let the Enamel dry for at least 48 hours, you'll be fine.

You're sure about the Tamiya spray? Cryptically it says nothing on the can and that typically means lacquer...
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 04:53 PM UTC
As per Tamiya's website:

"... The paint is synthetic lacquer that cures in a short period of time... Tamiya spray paints are not affected by acrylic or enamel paints. Therefor, following the painting of the entire assembly, details can be added or picked out using enamel and/or acrylic paints. By combining of three different paints, the decoration of plastic models will become simpler and more effective."

Here's the link

bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 10:59 PM UTC
Mike

I would be vary wary of the Tamiya cans. I think they are lacquer based.

Quite a while ago I had finished an aircraft - airbrushed with Tamiya acrylics. I let that set for over a week and being too lazy to airbrush a clear gloss for decalling grabbed an old spray can of Tamiya clear. Admitedly it went on a bit too heavy but within 20 seconds it had pealed and blistered all the acrylic paint.

When I was spraying it I thought it smelled a bit like lacquer.

So definitely do a test somewhere else first.

Brian
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 11:13 PM UTC
Tamiya Paints are not the autmotive type of Laquer paint. I have used the 'rattlecans' in the past ( unimpressed, but that is a different story) and they don't react with enamels. Just remember to let the enamels cure, and cover in thin layers, rather than one, thick, runny coat. Off course the advice to try on a piece off scrap plastic is good, and I should have included that in my first post.

Cheers
Henk
 _GOTOTOP