History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
South American countries in WW2
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 10:17 AM UTC
Can anyone shed any light on the South American countries that faught in WW2 I know Brazil had troops in Italy. What caused them to be there who's command were they under did they have an airforce presence? any other countirs involved as well?
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 11:58 AM UTC
Davy:

Brazil & Mexico were only two combatants I am aware of. Brazil was a formal Allied power I think and Mexico joined later on after some provocation. Uruguay was officially neutral. All the other Central & South American countries supported the Allied cause, even if no combatants were involved.

That is about all I know off the top of my head, ithat aspect of WW2 isn't one of my strong points; maybe someone else can add some specifics.

John

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 12:19 PM UTC
That's my take as well. I know Argentina was pro German, but I think they were neutral as well..Peron was seeking power at time and couldn't get involved with either side. Argentina did have a large German population before the war, and a lot of folks hid down there after the war
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 12:32 PM UTC
Argentina, as far as I know had no combatatnts, but many high ranking German officials found refuge there before the wars end, my guess is probably because they were pro Nazi and did not want to be tried.