_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
New lad in town
GBDT
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

I'm George from Newcastle upon Tyne, England. I've been building models on and off (usually off!) for the last 50 years. I'm back into it again but i've reached a plateau where I'm sort of happy with what I can do, but I want to improve in lots of areas. I've had a look around the site and reckon that I can get a lot of help here. I hope in return that I can be of use!

I 'specalise' in WWII AFV's and planes, 35 & 48 scale. My problem at the moment is weathering the final model. Most so far are factory fresh, so I'll be searching the site for help.

Thanking everyone for your future help,

Cheers

George
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 09:48 AM UTC
George, welcome to the big A , dive in and have fun.

Pete
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 03:10 PM UTC
Welcome George

I am sure you will find all of the help and tips you need here. This is the best modeling community going.

Cheers
HastyP
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 03:47 PM UTC
Sup bro, good to have ya here! Youll find early that your modelling skills will increse dramatically, for me it did atleast. Ill help you with your question about weathering afvs a little up front. Well, to start before you put on any decals throw a gloss coat on the tank. This will make the surface very smooth so there will be no air trapped between the decal and the side. After you placed the decal on. Throw another gloss coat on it, just to seal the decal on the tank. Now since your afv is really slick and shiny, your ready to do a wash. A wash is basically paint that is run down the crevices to make the highpoints of the AFV stand out. So youve got your glossy tank. Take some raw umber, thin it out about 20% paint 80% thinner. (if you have an airbrush) put the thinner in the airbrush and spray it on. But if you dont have an airbrush, just manually do it with a brush. Now, as you will see, youve got a really dirty look to your tank. If youd like, you can throw a sand colored wash. (you usually see it on pacific theater tanks). Youll have to decide if you want your AFV to look muddy, or dusty. First well start with muddy: To acheive a muddy look go to your backyard(or wherever) pick up some sand, or fine dirt. Mix it with raw umber, and different shades of brown and then apply it with an old brush around the bottum of the hull and tracks. You will notice you actually have mud on the hull and tracks. It gives a very nice affect. If youd like a dusty looking tank just spray the buttom down very lightly (with airbrush) a sand color. Make sure you dont overdue this or it will turn out bad and youll have to start the whole painting phase over. If you dont have an airbrush, then drybrush (take some paint and wipe most of the paint off with a paper towel) then apply it to the wheels and bottum hull. I hope this helped a little. Once again, welcome to the Big A!
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 06:21 PM UTC
Hi George

Welcome to Armorama

Glad you joined us
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 06:52 PM UTC
hi George,
welcome to Armorama.glad to have you here
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 07:11 PM UTC
A Warm welcome aboard George. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay here. For most of us Armorama is as addictive as modelling itself.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 12:36 AM UTC
welcome to the site and remember Happy is good
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 01:23 AM UTC
Welome aboard George. If it's weathering techniques you're after, you've come to the right place. Not that there's anything wrong with a clean build. Show us some pic's of your work soon.

Cheers
Henk
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi George, welcome to Armorama You have certainly come to the right place
Hope on over to the Aircraft forum there are some great WWII aircraft modellers over there. we can talk weathering till the angel of the north rusts away :-)
Also check out the Union Jack club (Forum).
Mal
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 224 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 06:37 AM UTC
George -

You've definitely picked the right place to be. With all the fantastically helpful and supportive people here, you can't help but gain from the experiences. A terrific opportunity to share and learn. Anxious to see and hear more from 50 years of experiences. Welcome to "Armorama",

Blade48mrd[:::]
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 10:25 AM UTC
hi george! welcome to the big A, your definatly at the right place to get advice

Frank
GBDT
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 5 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 11:03 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

thanks for all your welcomes. I never expected such a welcome from so many parts of the world!

TsunamiBomb; thanks for the quick advice. Once I get back to modelling ( seem to be spending ages looking through Armorama site!!) I'll try your suggesttions. Will get back to you if I have any problems.

Thanks again,

George
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 12:12 PM UTC
Welcome to Armorama George! You'll find lots of help and inspiration herel. Great folks.
As for "factory fresh", in most cases I prefer to keep my models that way. I do weather some stuff, depends on the story I'm trying to tell. Also, I've never considered myself good at it.
Good to have you here.
Chuck
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 07:45 PM UTC
Welcome George, I am glad you have decided to join up here. I'm sure you will like it all the guys are very friendly and happy to lend a hand. Looking forward to seeing your work. Cheers Kevin
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 389 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 08:03 PM UTC
Hi George,
Glad to see you in Armorama family. You'll find all the tips you need here and we have much to learn from your experiences..
 _GOTOTOP