Place your announcements here please.
Which is the busiest modeling site?
Name_1s_MUD
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 06:09 AM UTC
I was on Aircraft Resource Center's site this morning and they were talking about the traffic on ARC. He listed these statistics captured by Alexa.com. The ranking (the number next to the site) shows the ranking of busiest websites.

Yahoo.com #1
Google.com #3
Microsoft.com #9
ARC #43,200
Modeling Madness #114,116
Hyperscale #118,592
Fine Scale Modeler # 211,686
IPMS USA # 277,001
Internet Modeler #447,122

The site admin then wrote "It's good to see ARC is now solidly the #1 modelling website." I plugged in Armorama.com... and it was 20,433. Don't get me wrong. I love ARC too. I use it a ton for my aircraft models. But c'mon... give some props to the BIG GUNS.

Way to go ARMORAMA!
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 06:28 AM UTC
You can not deny quality. or quantity for that matter...

peacekeeper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 401 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 07:22 AM UTC
i have found that on the one affiliated with a certain magazine (which shall remain nameless), most of the posts seem to be entered for the sole reason of getting the post count higher. When I see half of the topics are solely to give kudos to someone for reaching 1000 or more posts, I give thanks that Armorama is here to give inspiration and help if requested.

And the people here are much nicer.
PolarBear
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
entire network: 820 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 08:00 AM UTC
Hey, it looks like IPMS Stockholm site should be on that list!

www.ipmsstockholm.org: 243,523
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 08:08 AM UTC
I visit several armor model sites but even though they are rated differently, each one fills a different niche in the online modeling world.

Missing Links is a "graduate level" site where the knowledge is astounding in the various areas of armor modeling. Many non-experts are intimidated by the site. If you try to answer a question based on information not supported up by hard facts or solid personal knowledge, someone will prove you wrong by providing the correct answer. It is also not very user friendly to the newcomer. If you forget to post (for a veteran user) or fail to post (for a new user) your full name and valid e-mail address, you will get several reminders from users (not necessarily admin/moderators) that it is a requirement. The many users policing the site themselves make the site appear somewhat hostile when dealing with newcomers.

The site is quick to delete offending posts or even posts that are slightly off topic. Since it was purchased by Osprey Publishing, the site has definitely taken on a more corporate air and moderators ensure that the corporate party lines are strictly enforced. It is still a great knowledge center.

Armorama is a good general/armor modeling site that is a lot more user friendly. At times, the information is not as accurate as a similar answer received on M-L. Here, you get a lot of supposition in an answer because casual armor modelers are not afraid to post an answer they think, feel or believe to be true. The answer may or may not be fully accurate, but at least dialogue is developed and interaction between users stays relatively civil. A good enough answer will eventually arise.

Fine Scale Modeler's website is a good entry level general modeling site. I can mainly speak about the armor modeling forum, but the site seems to have a large population of modelers who have just begun to use the internet to help with their modeling. Many of the questions are very basic beginner questions, either related to beginning modeling or beginning internet usage. Many of those questions will be answered with as many different answers as there are respondents. It is very difficult for a “newbie” to get the right answer because he may not know which response is more correct.

There are other sites I pop in and out of, but these three seem to have more activity than the others.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 08:29 AM UTC
Very well said Sabot. I too find ML rather harsh. I tend to just read the answers and study the details than to risk getting my legs cut off at the knees for a typo or misspelling of my email.
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 08:46 AM UTC
I have to agree with Alan concerning your "assessment" of ML & Armorama, Robin. I don't think I could have said better of those 2. When it comes to modelling sites I'm a follower, definitely not a leader by any means! I followed people here from other sites and here is where I reside now - my chair here is waaay to comfy to get out of. :-)
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 09:23 AM UTC
I think this site ranks #1 and FSM site #2.

HastyP
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 09:43 AM UTC
I find M-L fascinating for the sheer volume of information - there is nothing which comes close to it. However, it is very insular and not the most welcoming of sites. On the other hand it has a very different function to Armorama. The closest perhaps is FSM although it is a site I personally dislike...Jim
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 11:45 AM UTC
Armorama's continuing succes is, in my opinion, due to it's easy atmosphere. People log on and stay because they feel welcome, rather than condoned. The knowledge of those on the site is freely spread around, rather than used in blow for blow arguments in a vain attempt to prove that you know that little titbit more than someone else. One thing I have felt from my start on Armorama is that the emphasise is much more on building and showing YOUR models. Not 'approved standards' models. Even those who join and show their models with little experience and limited skill are given encouragement and guidance, something not always evident on other sites...

Henk
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 12:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...One thing I have felt from my start on Armorama is that the emphasise is much more on building and showing YOUR models. Not 'approved standards' models. Even those who join and show their models with little experience and limited skill are given encouragement and guidance, something not always evident on other sites...

Henk

You have to admit that many of the kits on display at M-L are superb models though. Seeing what Steve Zaloga does in 1/72 scale is amazing. Having said that, I've seen some terrible models at FSM's site that get all sorts of praise. We are somewhat in the middle with some great works of art, particularly in the wheeled areas (due to Cliff, Gunnie, Animal & others), but still get the "wow, great job" on models that are of average quality.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 12:40 PM UTC
I like here just fine, no other site I've been to has had this much information on what I like to do in the modeling world. And I have had no problems with the people on this site, we are a very friendly group thousands of kudos to armorama
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 12:46 PM UTC
I guess I really don't know where I fit in.

ML to me is like Manhattan. There is tons of stuff to learn, tons of fabulous art to admire, the poorly behaved, the only thing missing is the ballet.

Armorama is more like Boston. Its big but friendly, there is really great art to see, but you have to look in multiple musuems to find it, Lots to learn, and people willling to help, even if they have a funny accent.

I guess I fit in somwhere in the middle? I am certainly not an expert on anything, and while correct detail is important, I have a limit. I build for the Art.

But Manhattan is fun to visit too!
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 01:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You have to admit that many of the kits on display at M-L are superb models though. Seeing what Steve Zaloga does in 1/72 scale is amazing. Having said that, I've seen some terrible models at FSM's site that get all sorts of praise. We are somewhat in the middle with some great works of art, particularly in the wheeled areas (due to Cliff, Gunnie, Animal & others), but still get the "wow, great job" on models that are of average quality.

I would never doubt that there are some fine models shown on other sites. Not least because those site will vett what they will show, carefull to preserve their 'status' of 'quality' site. Steve's skill is not ( and has not been for a long time..) in question, but a site like that is much like a shop bought magazine.. gourgeos models, but usualy by the same few modelers. Not much to aspire to for the keen amateur.
The best quality of Armorama is that it seems to combine (almost) all those parts on one site. Friendly, open, knowledgable, free, approachable and you can post your models to be seen by a world wide audience.
I just find Armorama the friendliest site with the easiest interface to work with. Never mind the fact that there are some great characters on this site to boot.
I do however agree with you Rob, that sometimes the 'lets be nice to each other' can lead to slightly over done reviews of 'average' models. Especialy in the Rivet Review.. But hey, as long as we all enjoy ourselfs, course that's what it's all about. Otherwise we would be just another ' there is one rivet missing on the inside off...' site.

Cheers
Henk

PS, I just noticed my spelling is not quite as it ought to be....I know, it's late...
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 505 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 01:05 PM UTC
Hi~
Sorry when I get home from work or wake up its always
the first click!
Steve has also had some GREAT jokes and pics!!
Have fun~
Ron
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 01:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi~
Sorry when I get home from work or wake up its always
the first click!
Steve has also had some GREAT jokes and pics!!
Have fun~
Ron

Fair enough, but for those who are not pshycic, where do we find those jokes?
rbeebe99
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 540 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 03:06 PM UTC
I agree that ML is a wealth of information, I often visit and more often do a google search for that tid bit of information I need, but two things really get my goat when it comes to ML. The first is, it seems that you have to be one of the guys to get feedback, I have seen some really excellent models on the constructive comments discussion group, but since they were from someone new or unknown there was hardly any feedback. The second is even if you answer someones question correctly you still get flak for not elaborating further on the subject.
Not everyone is like that on ML, I think for the most part the people who frequent ML are good guys(probably the ones from Armorama who also visit ML) but there are a few who really leave a bad impression. Anyway my rant is over thanks for listening, so glad Armorama is friendly.
Best Regards,
Robert
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 275 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 03:48 PM UTC
I also agree that while ML is a haven for the expert modelers who can churn out extremely beautiful models, it doesn't have the friendly atmosphere of Armorama.

I visit ML for info and for inspiration but that's it. I don't like the way they arrange thier forums...it's too confusing for me. And the way they answer in thier forums scares me.

That is why I'm sticking to Armorama.

Angela
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 03:49 PM UTC
I registered over at FMS because I was looking for the cover of an issue I bought 15 years ago and didn't think I could find it otherwise. I spent about two hours wandering the forums and never posted anything.
I checked out ML, mostly hitting the "What's New" link but never spent any significant time in those forums or tried to post there either. Not because I was intimidated (most people couldn't hurt my feelings with a ball bat) I just didn't didn't like the interface.
Anyway, I like Armorama because I think it does a really good job of treading the thin line between being a really good nurturing site for people new to modeling and being a good site for serious veteran modelers. Case in point: My father bought a wooden ship model about a year ago and my advice to him was "find a good ship modeling website and ask questions." He evidently found a site where they weren't willing to answer questions from a rookie and that made me mad. They actually made him feel bad for asking. I know we treat new modelers better than that here.
I know everyone treated me well when I was new to the site, and they still are.

Just my input.

Shaun
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,437 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 04:01 PM UTC
I guess I too have to agree with the general consensus about ML vs Armorama. Case in point:

I put a little blurb awhile back about my upcoming OIF book. Not one response at ML. I debated with myself whether or not to post the subject, since it kind of smacks of self promotion and all that. However, I decided to post it (and here too - of which I got several comments/responses) since I was not trying to sell books (I got a flat fee - I do not get royalties, so it does not matter how many sell), I was just trying to start a conversation. After doing so much work on the subject and much of it not making the book, I am happy to share what I can and just plain talk about the subject. I got a feeling that nobody at ML wanted to reply since they thought I was trying to sell books.

But I still like ML and check in just as much there as I do here. I agree, though, that it is more friendly here. But just like the guys posting here, people are on both sites. There are great guys like Gino and Mike Mummey and Lawrence Goh, and many others who go out of there way to be friendly there too, and you see them here as well.

Oh well, glad to see Armorama doing well.

Hey, when is Jim going to post those SCAHMS photos?

Bob
sighbeerguy
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 79 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 04:44 PM UTC
Lots of good scale model websites.

Dis' one , Hyperscale, Missing-Lynx, Track-Link,Steelnavy, Modelwarships,A.R.C.,P.M.M.S.,....lots of good stuff.

Please, ladies, they all are worth book-marking.

Andy
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 05:02 PM UTC
Personally I find ML somewhat intimidating. From lurking around on the site the users appear somewhat arrogant & argumentative.
I am also not a fan of corporate websites. I find them largely biased with good reason I suppose, since they're paying to keep the site going!

If I want an honest opinion, or even if I don't :-) I come here, to my 2nd home!

capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 06:57 PM UTC
Yes, I also have many of the other sites already mentioned bookmarked, BUT, the one site that I ALWAYS spend gobs and gobs of time on is THIS ONE. I think in my next life I will have a computer in my workroom. I might actually finish something that way. Oh, well.
capnjock
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 11:40 AM UTC
i think the big A is the place to be
all open and above board
newbie[ me ]friendly
and we all seem supportive and family oriented

my two cents worth

reb
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 12:35 PM UTC
I have gravitated to Armorama as my main site, for many reasons.

Having said that, I also use M-L, ARC, & Model Warships, & wwi-models for the heads-down detail information.

I look at several others, but only a quick look each weekend, never daily. At some point rooting around on the internet takes away from modeling.

All my M-L experiences have been great -- maybe that is because I don't do Axis -- the Allied & pre-WW2 forums are great & very helpful. I also don't do pure tanks -- another way to stay out of trouble over there.

I have given up on HS, talk about an inbred crowd. Brett did a good thing by forcing registration, that drove out the looney-tunes, but did nothing for the registered resident trolls.

I have also just about given up on FSM; way too low-level & very few people actually interested in learning. Don't ever offer constructive criticsm over there in an effort to help someone !!! Having said all that, their Ship Forum is very good, the influence of Jeff Herne, and probably the only reason I still go there.

I think we here will never be an M-L, ARC, MWS and certainly hope we never get to the two extremes HS & FSM, although we need to watch carefully that we don't get much closer to FSM with too many "Great Job" posts, a failure to control Campaigns, etc.

There is a lot of good info out here, and a lot of good support & assistance, but I wish we would reverse things -- make all the topic forums & campaigns be like Rivet Review & Critics Corner & then make one forum where you can go for atta-boys. I think that would serve the majority of interests better -- but that is my opinion only & I don't want to presume to speak for others.

BTW, I'd be suspicious of those figures on usage. I suspect that the organization of the site may impact them, and possibly the way the site is accessed (for example, I go to FSM Forums direct, not thru the main page, HS is fragmented on own server & Net54, etc). Having said that, the HS & M-L folks should think seriously about their forum message handling/organization which is unfriendly & may tend to drive their numbers down. IMHO ....

John
 _GOTOTOP