_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kaki Model Malaysia
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
YOUSE DOIRTY SHERMANS
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
entire network: 175 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 11:36 PM UTC

Hi
Just completed these very weathered Shermans. The amount of gunk heaped on them might make some cringe at the thought 'spoiling' their precious model. So...what do you guys think of extreme weathering ? From feedback ( if you 'quiet' members would be so kind to say something once in a while ) we'll know the 'for' and 'against' in our community with regards to this kind of finish for armor. There are a couple more pics in my gallery. So, do jump in and let us hear your two cents. And no holds barred please.

Y'all write and have fun, y'hear......
Patrick
Target_J
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 04:06 PM UTC
Patrick,

Looks great, but maybe the lighting was too bright when you took the photos? Can't really see the details.
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 09:30 PM UTC
Yessir...you are right. Tricky taking pics of white colored models. This was taken in shade at 3.00pm. under natural lighting. Imagine how it'll look if shot at 12.00 noon under direct sun ?!!! I've achieved better with controlled indoor lighting though.

Thanks for the feedback. So how's it with youse other guys ?

Patrick
masterqq
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
entire network: 101 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 03:26 AM UTC
Patrick,

Sui... More Photo?
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 01:02 AM UTC
hi patrick..... personally i finish my models with minimal weathering and IMO i think too much over-weathering ruins the model.... but i will consider doing that if it covers the construction/painting screw-ups.... ha ha.

btw i think that the finish on your shermans looks all-right i.e: not overdone. both looks awesome esp the stowage on the engine deck. however i like the OD shermie- the details are more visible.

ta.

HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 02:34 AM UTC

Thanks for the 'sui' comment masterqq. I checked out your link and KT Goh's Battle Of Kampar prompted me to submit this diorama which is the very first one I did when I came back to the hobby after more than 20 years. This one titled 'The Jungle Is Neutral' is based on the book with the same title by Spencer Chapman and was done sometime around 2001and shot with an under 1MP camera. The figures are old 1/72 Airfix reproduced by Hat Ind and they depict stay behind parties in the jungle. I had wanted to show my 1/72 Kallang ( S'pore ) based Brewster Buffalo from Matchbox but this was also an early effort and was handpainted !!!!! Haven't bought my airbrush yet then. Anyway, a more detailed one by Tamiya in 1/48 scale is on the way.

A contributor to your link, Kim Wong ( Penang ) whom I know ( and had lunch with a couple of times ) didn't mention you guys and I'm surprised there are so many of you. Welcome aboard. I see our community is growing ( noticed a newie from Penang today ).

I am impressed by your research into all things RMAF. Shame on me for knowing next to nothing about our own Air Force . Anyways, I've always wanted to build one of our planes and am undecided which one to go for. What would you recommend as the a/c that best represent our Tentera Udara and a historically correct variant which do not require modifications ? The F5 was once the mainstay but are there any other suitable a/c you'd care to recommend ? Also, I didn't know where to get RMAF decals. Does F4able sell them and how can I contact him ? He can e-mail me anytime coz there are decals I need customised. You see, I also intend to build one of those Australian Mirages which were stationed here during the 60s. Can you tell me which variant served here - the Mirage IIIC or D and which manufacturer produces them. I know Academy has the III C in 1/48 scale. This is the most widely exported version ? This one is for my dad who was a civilian serving with the RAAF in Butterworth as a Meteorological Observer. He was there at the height of Dien Bien Phu and was giving weather reports when the French and their allies used the base for logistical purposes. A Mirage with the Aussie kangaroo roundels would go well displayed with his old photos taken by his 'mates'. Hope to hear from you again.

Regards
Patrick
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 03:12 AM UTC
Aaaaahh....Jimbo my man,

I was wondering when one of your regulars are goin to say something. No word from Beach, Sil or The Floog.
Aiya...youse guys don't have to be like Thumper ( "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" ). That baaaad huh ?

Well, Shep Paine once wrote, "tanks are like children who get dirty very easily" or somethang to that effect. This military man himself also lets us know that tank crews take joy in wrecking walls and uprooting trees so these two are the result of what I imagined 'well worn' tanks to look like. Yes, 'imagine' coz the only real Sherman I saw at the Imperial War Museum was 'new' so I weathered mine based on heavy construction machines ! He also did say "a little is a lot" so I've either gone very near the 'ugly' line or have crossed it . Bet another stroke of the brush and that's it - urgggh !

Oh...no cover ups here. I just went out of my way to 'ruin' them . Anyways thanks for the honest opinion and some kind words to help me sleep better coz one of the two is a commission build for my regular client He has seen the pics Now where did I keep the car keys...going out of town for a loooong time !

Thanks
Patrick
masterqq
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 04:38 PM UTC
Thanks for you comment on my little site, Glad you like some of the model there.

For the a/c that best represent our Tentera Udara , It really a personnel preference, For me, It will be the F-5E in the 80's and the F-18 for modern day.

Lot of TUDM decal are available at Hobby HQ, including f-4dablemodels (F-18), Scalenutz(Mig29, F-5,generic TUDM roundel and more) , VFA decal(F-5, A-4,Mig,Hawk..),So it cover almost everything in TUDM inventory,

Most of the model can be build OOB, and I always build OOB models, although there are upgrade cockpit and more for the models,

So, I would suggest you to build a F-5E as this was the pride of TUDM Butterworth and will go along well with the Mirage III.

The Mirage III of the RAAF is a mirage IIIO , and the academy kit is a very basic kit, the cockpit is a joke, no detail there.

Maybe we can meet, I stay in Relau .

beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 06:23 PM UTC
Yo Patrick,

Didn't think I'll let you get off without my RM0.20 (inflation adjusted) did you? I love the weathering coz I'm all for heavy weathering. My car is a classic example. Haven't washed it in months. It would make an excellent reference on how to weather a 4WD.

Okay back to your photos. Very nice washes on the tank, equipment and even the duffel bags with a nice light coat of dust on the tank to boot. Great rain streaked marks to on the hull.

Its not a big critical, plus my AFV knowledge is really super rusty (no pun intended) but with all the loose equipment at the back would't they have a netting over it and then ropes on top. Its a very minute observation though on an otherwise great piece of work.

BTW which one is for you?
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 02:45 AM UTC
Aisayman, Beach

My car also got weathering lah. Not only does it have a light coat of dust like the Shermans, it also carry scars of air strikes - by birds !

Yessir, you are right about the netting but I couldn't find any at the time. I was wondering whether gauze is of the right scale.

I'm glad you liked them. The one with the snow camo is for my client. He liked it too so I guess I won't be going out of town after all.

Patrick
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 02:54 AM UTC
Hi again masterqq

I've never heard of the Mirage III 'O'. Which manufacturer has this ? I should have guessed the Academy one lack detail somewheres coz the kit is inexpensive even by 1/48 scale standards. I'll sure be needing your advice when I finally get to start on both the mentioned a/c but now it's back to the workbench as my clients are after me to hurry up with their projects. Sure would like to get together only if I can find the time. I'll try. You may e-mail be at [email protected]
Again, thanks for the info and feedback.
masterqq
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 05:16 PM UTC
hi,

The IIIO is actually the Aussie locally build IIIC with with some changes including radar,

I actually have the same plan to build the acadamy Mirage with the RAAF marking, the external shape of the acadamy kit is passable and below is the link of some article on HS that might help you.

http://www.features02.kitparade.com/mirageiiijr_1.htm
http://hsgalleries.com/mirageiiiopm_1.htm http://put.url.here http://put.url.here http://put.url.here
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 03:52 AM UTC
Thanks man
I won't be able to start on the Mirage yet coz of projects keeping me buried in my workbench. What I need is a break instead Thanks for the info. I'll probably take a look and save it for later reference.

Nice work on the figures. Since it was done sometime ago the seam line on the canteen can be overlooked

Oops.......

Patrick
masterqq
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 02:31 PM UTC
You got sharp eye, my friend... :-)

maybe we can start the Mirage togather later..
 _GOTOTOP