History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
impractical ww2 Japanese weapons?
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Japanese machine guns were copies of the Besa and Bren

Sort of, the HMGs (like the Taisho 14) were based on Hotchkiss designs and only the Type 99 LMG used much that was recognisably from the ZB stable. There was also a Lewis gun copy.

And if you're going to copy things, you may as well pick the best

Ah, and therein lies the problem. Why not copy the ammunition as well? The weaker Japanese rounds were the source of most of the problems.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 03:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why not copy the ammunition as well?

The Japanese began to move over to 7.7mm just before the war, with a new rifle and the Type 99 LMG chambered for a (IIRC) rimless round. They also copied the British .303" (= 7.7mm) rimmed round for use in other weapons.

Inevitably things got in the way of the change over...
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 06:52 AM UTC
Regardless of the origins, designs, copies and quality control, I'm sure that any Marine that faced the Japanese on any of the island wouldn't say that Japanese weapons were impractical!!!
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 08:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Grease gun was produced to replace the Thompson this was not correct the M3 Grease Gun was developed to equip armor vehicle crews because of the Thompson's size and weight. There were over 1.5 million Thompsons made throughout the war.

lies all lies!! that was I who said it, and actually heard it on the history channel when they were doing one of their special weapon shows.

Quoted Text

The Nambu was more deadly at long range due to the fact it was shooting a heavier caliber, but since it was heavy, belt-fed and took a two-man crew, it was no where near as versatile as our B.A.R.

Tom

what did the Nambu weigh out too? I'm gonna guess....80 lbs?(with base) not as heavy as our 30 cal.
RottenFuhrer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 284 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 01:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

lies all lies!! that was I who said it, and actually heard it on the history channel when they were doing one of their special weapon shows.

I didn't intend to offend I am aware of the History Channel's Tales of the Gun series in fact I own the entire series!!!! The shows are fun and educational but many have incorrect information. You have heard of the "Gun Nut" well I'm the shell....lol. Oh and by the way guys the Nambu I'm speaking of is a PISTOL!!!!
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 04:07 PM UTC
I'm just glad they didn't have better rifles than that Asikara 6.5mm. Otherwise our boys in Bataan or Corregidor wouldn't have last as long.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 08:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

what did the Nambu weigh out too? I'm gonna guess....80 lbs?(with base) not as heavy as our 30 cal.

The Taisho 14 and it's successor HMG were pretty heavy pieces of kit, weighing around 114lb/52kg. They were a three-man carry when assembled.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-weapons/enemy-jap_ww2.htm

Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't intend to offend I am aware of the History Channel's Tales of the Gun series in fact I own the entire series!!!! The shows are fun and educational but many have incorrect information. You have heard of the "Gun Nut" well I'm the shell....lol. Oh and by the way guys the Nambu I'm speaking of is a PISTOL!!!!

hahaha silly me, thats what I get for trying to read to fast, mixing machine guns up w/ pistols, my bad :-) :-) :-) :-)

Quoted Text

The Taisho 14 and it's successor HMG were pretty heavy pieces of kit, weighing around 114lb/52kg. They were a three-man carry when assembled.

114 lbs?! wow, cant say I'd like to be humping those pieces around

Did the Japanese army have a specific sniper rifle they used? ie the M1 garand being regular issue for infantry and the Springfield issued as a sniper rifle.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 10:53 PM UTC
Okay, some errors on my part to sort out...

The Type 96 LMG also borrowed from ZB designs. And when I put Taisho 14 I should have put Taisho 3 (dating to 1914). I'm blaming my memory

I was reading a book at the weekend in which the author test-fired lots of WW2 automatic weapons, and he didn't find the cartridge oiler to be much of a problem, even with blowing dust.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 06:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Regardless of the origins, designs, copies and quality control, I'm sure that any Marine that faced the Japanese on any of the island wouldn't say that Japanese weapons were impractical!!!

Looking at the appalling death toll suffered by U.S. troops in the Pacific, I would say that this comment pts the thread right back into perspective....Jim
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So I was wondering, was the Samauri sword a very practical weapon?

Tom

To me the Samurai sword was more of a symbolic weapon for the Japanese Army (officers) but was used in the famous Bonzai charges which would seem to have more of a psychological effect on a soldier. I'm sure when it was used (on a human) it came to great effect.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 09:06 AM UTC
I have read that on those instances that the Banzai charge made it to the Marine lines that the Samauri sword was very lethal in the hands of a skilled swordsman. Whether that's considered practical, I don't know, since the Banzai charge itself was very impractical.
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 850 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 06:18 PM UTC
They could have made some even more impractical rifles by mounting the swords as bayonets. Nasty.
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 03:08 AM UTC
Also nearly every japanese weapon had a DIFFERENT calibre!!!!
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also nearly every japanese weapon had a DIFFERENT calibre!!!!

Unlike say, British armoured units, which might have 7.92mm BESAs, .303" Bren for AA, 9mm Sten or .45" Tommy gun and .38" revolvers. All on the same vehicle...
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
entire network: 581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 03:31 AM UTC
Weapons they issued out were differenet calibres

they had two types of bolt action rifles of diff. caliber issued out at the sime time, pistols with different calibre, machine guns were different calibers. and coupled with a poor supply system, they'd get ammo for one rifle when they have the other!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 05:18 AM UTC
Ah well is the joke on us now? Their manufacturing plants have some of the best manufacturing quality and most efficient supply chains in the world now.