_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Resin Mold ??
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 11:51 AM UTC
I have a question....
I am continuously advancing my skill set and recently received some resin for my birthday. My wonderful sister-in-law (not knowing) only got me the resin - no molding materials.
Here in lies my question.
I have some Woodlan Scenics Latex Rubber (C1204) that I use for making molds for plaster (Woodland Scenics plaster). This rubber is the brush on in layers and let dry deal. Then pour in the plaster mix. For my first resin project I would like to make a mold of a county rock/cobble stone road section and use castings to make a stretch of road.
What do you think of using this latex rubber for resin casting?????? Do you think the heat will cause problems? Any thoughts on the strength of the rubber?? What do think???

I read the FSM article on resin and know the draw backs work arounds you have to do for 'open face' molding.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 11:36 PM UTC
I have only used the latex for making plaster molds of rocks. I would invest in some silicon rubber for durability. look herehttp://www.alumilite.com/ or herehttp://www.bare-metal.com/ have not used the Bare metal foil one but the alumilte one and dow corning one I have both good
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 12:38 PM UTC
I'm not the expert on latex: for some reason I just don't like the stuff. But why don't you give it a try ? Make a small mold of just anything and try the resin to it. That'll show you the effect of resin to the latex. As to temperature : the larger the volume, the hotter the resin gets. Why don't you use plaster to copy cobblestones ?
There's been more on the issue of latex molds on this site... I suggest you try a "search" on the subject ?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 04:59 AM UTC
Thanks for the information and suggestions. I will try them an post results.

Good idea on searching for plaster molds. I did resin mold search and came up empty. Hadn't thought of looking on the plaster side.
Thanks
 _GOTOTOP