_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Preparation for a scratchbuilding project?
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 02:26 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I want to (try to) scratchbuild a Valentine Archer TD. I will use Dragon's Valentine as base and I want to scratchbuild the conversion to a Valentine Archer.

Now I've tried scratchbuilding before but I think I always started wrong already and I wanted to build everything too fast, with as result that non of these projects were finished.

So, now I'm gonna take my time for building etc, but I also want to start well prepared.

Now there are some really good scratchbuilders here at the big-A.

Can I ask you guys how you prepare? What excactly do you do before you start building?

I'm sure I can learn from you people! :-)

Martin
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 02:54 AM UTC
First, have good referances, scaled drawings with dimensions if you can get them. I build all major assemblies first, then detail each in turn. Take a systematic approach and work on a section at a time. Go slow and take your time. I'm sure it will come out great.

Also, remember, measure twice and cut once.

Good luck.
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,114 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 03:43 AM UTC

Adding to what Gino said...

I don't know exactly to what detail your scratch building work will be for that tank?

but here's my 2 cents ...Include mechanical pencil and paper/graph paper, ruler,etc,etc...draw it out to scale! You can either have it for 3D reference, like technical drawings (side,end,etc views) or you can use your drawings as "templates". Cut them out if you have to. I did this for my Hummer conversion to up-armor..worked like a dream..believe me with this little extra work, and you'll have little trouble cause those milimetres off 1 or 2..at certain areas make the completed work out of proportion!

If you have real-life dimensions..then get a scale calculator.. Just download for free, Here's the link:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/techmain.htm

All the best man and keep us posted..

I'm also developing some after market stuff for OIF...

Nick
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 04:00 AM UTC
Hi,

Thanks for the tips!

About the dimensions: I can't find much more than this in numbers:

http://www.onwar.com/tanks/uk/data/archer.htm

But, I've got enough images to calculate the scale from I think. Should be possible!

Martin
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 07:53 AM UTC
It is possible to scale from Photos as this is what I often do. I put a feature called "calculating scale from Photos" here in the Features area last year.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is possible to scale from Photos as this is what I often do. I put a feature called "calculating scale from Photos" here in the Features area last year.

Ok thanks, I'll take a look at that!

Martin
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 03:56 AM UTC
There's only one way to do this right : get LOADS of pictures. If you don't have your subject covered from all angles, you'll spend days and nights making good progress, and then get stuck because you don't know what the other side of the moon looks like. If you don't find the pictures to show all the details you want to build from scratch, save yourself a lot of frustration and find another subject to scratch. There are soooo many good ideas out there. I wish I hand the time to start modeling again. My fingers start to tingle.
I WILL be back someday...
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There's only one way to do this right : get LOADS of pictures. If you don't have your subject covered from all angles, you'll spend days and nights making good progress, and then get stuck because you don't know what the other side of the moon looks like. If you don't find the pictures to show all the details you want to build from scratch, save yourself a lot of frustration and find another subject to scratch. There are soooo many good ideas out there. I wish I hand the time to start modeling again. My fingers start to tingle.
I WILL be back someday...

Must be a torture to browse the forums here while you don't have time yourself to built something.......good luck my friend

And of course thanks for the tip! I have enough pics to build what I have in mind. It may not be 100% accurate but I don't want to make it too hard now already :-)

Martin
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It may not be 100% accurate but I don't want to make it too hard now already :-)

Martin

That Valentine Archer looks like a good project to try your hand on scratchbuilding. It is mostly made up of straight and square surfaces, which make scratchbuilding life a lot easier.
Once you master that a bit, you'll want to try your skills on curved and round structures. Have fun !

By the way : I don't come around here too often at these times. I only look into the scratchbuilding and diorama forums once or twice monthly. There's always some time for that !
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 10:32 PM UTC
I was wondering if anybody got the 19 dollar version of that scale at www starshipmodeler, and is it worth the 19 dollars, or just stick with the free version. Out of all these people nobody knows.
Thank you in advance.

Kerry
 _GOTOTOP